ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (18/182) > >>

Deozaan:
I recently watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was decent but a lot of things just didn't make sense to me. I mean, I understood the plot just fine, but I didn't understand why people did certain things. It broke my suspension of disbelief because the people sometimes acted too irrationally for me for it to be believable. Also, a lot of the plot elements just don't make sense when taking the other movies into account.

ExampleWhen Wolverine tracks down Gambit to find Sabretooth and Gambit knocks him through the wall whereupon he sees Sabretooth... Why would Gambit interrupt the fight when Wolverine was attacking someone who he (Gambit) hated?

I also saw Jack Reacher the other day. Having never heard of it before, I thought it was decent. Not fantastic, but decent. I'd probably think it was stupid if I started to think about it, but somehow I managed to make it through the movie without thinking a whole lot about it, which doesn't happen often for me, so I'm not going to think about it.

Renegade:
I never watch trailers or anything about a movie before I see it,-Renegade (July 28, 2013, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

For The Colony, neither had I, but from watching other movies that had the same 'adversaries', (hinted at in the first few minutes), the narration of what happened to the planet, the SOS, the initial confrontation between Paxton and Zegers, etc, etc - it all adds up to give you a pretty good idea of what's going to happen further on.  As Shades said.
-4wd (July 28, 2013, 10:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Contains possible spoilersI kind of missed some of the beginning as I was wrapping up some work when I hit play. Guess that was a good thing. :D

I was wondering what the villains would be when they got to Colony 5. I thought people or aliens, but was hoping for something less predictable. The cannibal angle was a bit disappointing.

I hate monsters/villains/whatever that do nothing more than "roar". It's lame. I'm quite sick of the exact same sound effect for every single bad guy. Doesn't matter if it's a human, monster, alien, or whatever - the exact same sound effect is used in every movie for the past however many decades.

40hz:

A partial list of things in movies over the past several years that I've (by now) just about had enough of:

* Vampire everything - monsters, lovers, lesbians, special forces
* Werewolf everything - (see Vampire above)
* Werewolves + Vampire everything - (see Vampire above)
* Flesh-Eating Zombie Apocalypse riffs - even if they do star Milla Jovovich
* Unstoppable "might be supernatural or possessed by the Devil" psycho "slice&dice" killers wearing masks - Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, etc. etc. - you know the franchises.
* Teams of kids or teenagers (with no formal training) who take on crack professional military units - and win
* Remakes of: Porky's, Risky Business, Animal House
* Additional installments of Die Hard (and while were at it - Bruce Willis in general)
* Schwartzenegger and Stallone - either solo or in combo. Gentlemen? It's getting sorta old - and so are you. Wake up and smell the steroids! As my GF put it: Seeing young heavily-muscled dudes is one thing. However, seeing musclebound old men is kinda creepy.
* Harry Potter everything
* Kevin Smith's "Jay" and "Silent Bob" characters - Hey Kev? It's true they were sorta funny in Dogma. Not so much anywhere else. So let's give it a rest ok?
* And just to get a jump on it: the inevitable sequels to The Hunger Games along with all the "me too" spin-offs that will likely follow.
There's more items on that list, but these will do for a start. ;) ;D

tomos:
French film, Paulette
Paulette lives alone in a housing project in the Paris suburbs. With her meager pension, she can no longer make ends meet.
--- End quote ---
-
about a grandmother who manages to go into business with the local dope dealer ("hasheesh, hash, ganga, sheet").
All good clean fun really. (Honestly!)
(Oh yeah, dont watch the trailer if you're planning on watching the film, it shows too much of the story.)

Renegade:
+1 for just about everything on 40's list.

I can still watch Harry Potter. It's one of the few that I can watch with my wife. She watches almost nothing, and likes a very limited set of "non-scary" things.

Werewolves - Never really liked any of those stories to begin with. Except with Michael J. Fox as he just does such a fantastic job of darn near anything. :D

I really do like dystopian future films, but most are garbage. Kind of like horror films - most are garbage.

However, when you find those ones that are really good, they're worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version