topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 545658 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 10:42 PM »
^^ ;D You're the man, 40.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23 AM »
^^ ;D You're the man, 40.

Well...one of em' anyway. ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 01:33 PM »
From the: finished production but not yet released department

Just ran across this over at QuietEarth.

Have you ever taken a philosophy or ethics course and played The Sanctuary Game? That's the one where your class had to decide amongst themselves which of you would be allowed into a survival habitat if WWIII broke out. And the ethical catch was that there were always several fewer spaces available in the shelter than the total number of people in your class...so who gets to survive - and why?

It's probably far less poignant doing it now than it was during the Cold War when this scenario didn't feel quite so far fetched as it might today.

Or maybe not. Because somebody made a film out of that very exercise. It's called The Philosophers. And the synopsis and trailer both look rather good.

philosophersposter.jpg

Synopsis:

At an international school in Jakarta, a brilliant but mysterious philosophy teacher challenges his class of twenty graduating seniors to undertake one final thought experiment in order to complete the requirements for graduation. The experiment is to be the most extreme they have ever had to face. Using the power of logic alone, the students must choose which of them would be worthy of a place in an underground shelter built to withstand a fast-approaching nuclear apocalypse. The shelter only has space for ten people, which means certain death for those that are not chosen.

The real-life world of the classroom dramatically segues into the imaginary yet all too real world of the nuclear bunker and the approaching atomic catastrophe. Forced to make impossible decisions, the twenty young students enter an explosive and highly stylised world in which the survival instinct reigns supreme. Murder, deceit, sex and betrayal become the norm as the students strive to survive the impossible scenario. In doing so, they take the audience on an exhilarating journey across multiple realities, each one ever more intense than the last.

Here's the trailer:

Definitely going on my "look for" list. :Thmbsup:

tiaross

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22 AM »
Fast and Furious 6
Monster University
Shaolin
Love in Disguise (Korean movie)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Hanna :  1st 15 minutes are reasonably engaging, but it is down hill all the way from there. So many plot holes, so little drama, no tension - occasional nice cinematography but at the expense of logic and accessibility.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 07:58 AM »
Just watched "State Of Mind: The Psychology Of Control".

I watch UFO TV documentaries. Very entertaining. --> https://www.youtube....sFoY9yYQpOfL00N3nSxg

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Currently working my way through all 27 episodes of BBC's Inspector Lewis series and loving every minute of it. Highly recommended.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Screenshot - 7_19_2013 , 5_31_39 PM -_thumb001.png

Seven Samurai
1954, Akira Kurosawa
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/

One of the best movies ever made.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 05:42 PM »
We should expand this to TV series. I just watched about 18 episodes of "Doc Martin". (British version of House.)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I just watched about 18 episodes of "Doc Martin". (British version of House.)

Technically: House, USA version of Doc Martin.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Just saw The Great Gatsby.  Though some of the things grated (anachronistic dance styles and music), it was a great adaptation of a classic novel.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:33 AM by wraith808 »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Snitch - Quite entertaining action drama movie.
Europa Report - SciFi - this is actually a captivating story, for an indie movie it is good.
Imaginaerum - Another story that captivated me...it doesn't deserve the rather low score it gets on IMDB. It has excellent music, all played by the band NightWish (gothic rock band, but don't let that stop you, the voice of female singer is very, very beautiful, cultivated by years of lessons/training at a northern european conservatorium). Also, the movie starts out as a movie for younger children, but it really isn't.
The Grandmaster - good movie about kung fu (after all, Bruce Lee had to learn his art before becoming a master, this is about his teacher)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2013, 01:02 AM »
The Grandmaster - good movie about kung fu (after all, Bruce Lee had to learn his art before becoming a master, this is about his teacher)
I just watched ip man and ip man 2!  And now this?  are they independent of each other?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Guess not...but then I didn't see or haven't heard of the Ip man movies you mention. The kung-fu genre is not really my style of movie, I just liked the tag-line that came with 'The Grandmaster'.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2013, 11:09 AM »
@Shades - Imaginaerum and Europa Report just got put on my "to watch" list. Thx!

(Note: apparently Imaginaerum is going to be hard to get. Seems to be out of stock everywhere I looked. And it doesn't show up for stream viewing on any service I'm subscribed to.)

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I recently watched The Prestige, wasn't sure what to expect walking into it. But it was both clever and at some places slightly funny. The twist in it was also really interesting and a bit surreal. But it all works really well and I'd say it's a must see.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2013, 12:58 PM »
^ Oh yes, I love that movie.  If you liked it, then you should see the other also that came out around the same time- The Illusionist.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2013, 01:21 PM »
+1 to both the above. I've seen The Prestige at least thrice over the years.

Movies I've seen in the last two weeks or so-
Jack Reacher (better than expected, esp. considering just how mis-cast Cruise is for the role of Reacher)
Europa Report (somewhat eerie in parts, I love sci-fi/space flicks so I certainly wasn't bored but I wouldn't watch it again).
How To Make Money Selling Drugs - mostly boring and over-rated, IMO but it was made to do more than just entertain.
Evil Dead (2013) - 'meh!' - I can recall details from the 1981 version more vividly. :)
Spring Breakers - disturbing and over-the-top but this is the only one from the lot that left its mark on me. The last psychedelic night scene was something to behold. Best viewed late at night with the lights off.  8)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:28 PM by nosh »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Loved The Illusionist and The Prestige although the romantic in me preferred the first even if it wasn't Ed Norton's best performance (he can't do Euro accents to save his life) and there's no way in the world I could accept Jessica Biel as being Hungarian nobility. I know far too many Hungarian women - and they simply don't look anything at all like the otherwise comely Ms. Biel for me to suspend disbelief.  

1.jpg  2.jpg

Paul Giamatti as Inspector Uhl and Rufus Sewell as Prince Leopold, however, were superb on all counts.

3.jpg  4.jpg

----------------

FWIW I think I came up with a far better ending for The Prestige. But I would since I wrote it. ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Just watched Atlas Shrugged Part II. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for part III next year. 

atlas-shrugged-part-2-movie-poster.jpgMovies you've seen lately

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Europa Report (somewhat eerie in parts, I love sci-fi/space flicks so I certainly wasn't bored but I wouldn't watch it again).

Same here, as I watched it I kept being reminded of Apollo 18.

Went back to a classic last night, Jason and the Argonauts, Ray Harryhausen's stop motion effects are brilliant.

jason-and-the-argonauts-1963-20100715014429134.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Loved Jason and the Argonauts. Ray Harryhausen was amazing.

The scene with Talos scared the tar out of me the first time I saw it when I was a kid. The moment comes around the 3 minute mark in this clip:

:tellme:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Just ran across this over at QuietEarth.
Talking of "Quiet Earth", I wondered whether you had seen this:
Movie - The Quiet Earth.jpg

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Loved The Illusionist and The Prestige although the romantic in me preferred the first...
Yes, same here.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Just watched "State Of Mind: The Psychology Of Control".
I watch UFO TV documentaries. Very entertaining. --> https://www.youtube....sFoY9yYQpOfL00N3nSxg
Was "State Of Mind: The Psychology Of Control" worth watching (and the bandwidth)? I wondered about downloading that yesterday, and decided to give it a miss.

Do you like UFO videos?
Have you ever seen a UFO with your own eyes? I have.
  • Once whilst out walking the dog with my eldest daughter one day, years ago. We both looked up and noticed 2 very large bright yellow-gold glowing ball-shaped lights, moving steadily in the sky ahead of us. In the space of about 30 seconds or so, they moved fairly swiftly in parallel with each other, out of sight over a nearby hill, so they may have been at a relatively low altitude (around 500 feet), or going incredibly fast and very big if they were at a high altitude. I wondered if they could have been explained as being what are called "sun dogs".

• Once whilst on our patio one day, years ago. My eldest son and his mate were lying back in their chairs, drinking beer, talking and looking up at the sky. They called the rest of us (family) out to look at a very small silver ball or disk that they had chanced to see in a gap in some very high cloud, almost directly above us. So small that it was difficult to spot at first, so the boys had to point it out. We all watched it for a while, moving against the background of blue sky. I reckoned it could be a weather balloon, but when we all saw it move about, back and forth and sideways, in a most un-balloon-like manner, we realised that it had to be a UFO. The cloud eventually obscured it, but we had watched it whilst discussing it for a few minutes.