ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (81/182) > >>

Renegade:
Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft.
-40hz (November 29, 2014, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I need to check that out again.

If you like dystopian movies, try this:

Divergent

I really want to comment on this, but... sigh... I don't want to ruin it for anyone. So... No commentary.

But if you like the genre, it's worth a watch.

Meh... Fuggit! Don't click if you don't want to ruin the film!

THIS WILL RUIN THE FILM FOR YOU!!!The film is rather bland with a lot of the same kinds of action and all that stuff. The interesting part is the plot and the meta-story.

The thesis focuses on the primacy of the state and the acceptance of the state as we see in our own reality.

However, the "divergents" step outside the state's ability to control people's thoughts.

This film explores mind control a bit (in a very superficial way), and people's roles in "society".

Overall, this is pretty weak for any kind of argument, but the film is entertaining and fun to watch. Even if you're an anti-state anarchist like me. :P

Shades:
Open Window - Reasonably good thriller applying capabilities of current computer and smartphone technology to the NSA's wet dream happen.

40hz:
@ Ren - Divergent looks very good. Adding it to my list.  :Thmbsup:

Note: the trailer also has what I suspect might be a spoiler scene in it. So probably best skip that too. :huh:

@Shades - adding Open Window to my list too. Thx! :)

4wd:
Divergent-Renegade (December 13, 2014, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm starting to find these movies rather tedious being, seemingly, rather teen oriented.

Divergent
The Maze Runner (first of what seems to be a series)
The Hunger Games
The Giver (which reminded me of a toned down PG13 version of the far better Equilibrium)
etc

Renegade:
Open Window - Reasonably good thriller applying capabilities of current computer and smartphone technology to the NSA's wet dream happen.
-Shades (December 13, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooooh! Sounds good!

Divergent-Renegade (December 13, 2014, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm starting to find these movies rather tedious being, seemingly, rather teen oriented.

Divergent
The Maze Runner (first of what seems to be a series)
The Hunger Games
The Giver (which reminded me of a toned down PG13 version of the far better Equilibrium)
etc
-4wd (December 14, 2014, 01:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... yeah... I know what you mean. There are very, very few really good movies in this category.

Beggars can't be choosers?

I figure it's just a matter of enjoying what's available. And even bad ones are better than romantic comedies/dramas.

Two of the best dystopian films I've seen in the last few years are Atlas Shrugged I & II.

FWIW - Equilibrium was excellent! But for some reason, it always reminds me of Gattaca.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version