ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (66/182) > >>

4wd:
Repo Men always kind of reminded me of the earlier Race Against Time with Eric Roberts.

The switch being that when you don't pay your medical bills, they come after you for your organs.

When a man faces surmounting bills for his dying son's hospital stay, he enters into an agreement to sell his body for organ transplants to pay the bills. However, when he is advised that the doctors want to claim his organs immediately, he goes on the run.
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
Saw #1 & #2, and now #3 is near ready!!

I'm really looking forward to this!

nosh:
Phenomena - an 80s giallo starring a very young Jennifer Connelly. I found the origin of the word quite interesting, btw. --> Spoiler[wikipedia] :
Giallo (Italian pronunciation: [ˈdʒallo], plural gialli) is an Italian 20th-century genre of literature and film, which in Italian indicates crime fiction and mystery. In English, it refers to a genre similar to the French fantastique genre and includes elements of horror fiction and eroticism. The word "giallo" is Italian for "yellow" and comes from a series of cheap paperback mystery novels with trademark yellow covers.
I loved the locale, a boarding school near a small Swiss town. A high level of suspension of disbelief is required, if you like to nitpick about loose plot threads this isn't the movie for you. But it's exactly this kind of movie that creates an awesome atmosphere that's hard to find in regular, grounded to reality fare. Recommended for pure trashy fun, and a great atmosphere. I saw it off Youtube. :D The girl in the opening scene is Argento's daughter.

Deozaan:
I recently saw Frozen (2013) against my better judgement. I have no idea why it's such a hit. The lyrics were not very clever or catchy. Very little of the humor was actually humorous. They tried too hard to make Olaf the snowman this movie's comedic relief a la Ice Age's Sid the Sloth or Shrek's Donkey, but I personally didn't find much of anything he did or said to be funny. And while the woman who does the voice of the ice queen is a talented singer, I didn't feel that it fit her character or the movie very well. I really don't understand why "Let It Go" is such a popular song. It's not a classic, fun song that should be enjoyable to kids and adults alike.

Though there were 2-3 parts of the movie I found genuinely funny, most of the time I was just scratching my head wondering why people seem to like this movie so much, with its lame humor, lame lyrics, lame dialog, and generally lame plot all around.

I find myself more in agreement with these (paraphrased) words of a friend-of-a-friend's 4-year old son: "That movie would have been pretty good if she had died at the end. And if there was no singing."

I would not recommend the movie.

I also recently saw Despicable Me 2 (2013). From the previews I had seen last year, I wasn't too excited about the movie. It looked like it was just an excuse to have random "funny" minion moments. The actual film lived up to my expectations. I think they tried too hard to do more minion funniness, but it all just seemed too random; it was just for the sake of showing the minions doing hilarious things and had nothing to do with the plot. The plot itself was pretty weak. The whole movie seemed like just one big excuse to show off more minions and a couple of cute Agnes moments.

It's not as good as the first Despicable Me. But it was a decent waste of time.

wraith808:
I recently saw Frozen (2013) against my better judgement. I have no idea why it's such a hit. The lyrics were not very clever or catchy. Very little of the humor was actually humorous. They tried too hard to make Olaf the snowman this movie's comedic relief a la Ice Age's Sid the Sloth or Shrek's Donkey, but I personally didn't find much of anything he did or said to be funny. And while the woman who does the voice of the ice queen is a talented singer, I didn't feel that it fit her character or the movie very well. I really don't understand why "Let It Go" is such a popular song. It's not a classic, fun song that should be enjoyable to kids and adults alike.

Though there were 2-3 parts of the movie I found genuinely funny, most of the time I was just scratching my head wondering why people seem to like this movie so much, with its lame humor, lame lyrics, lame dialog, and generally lame plot all around.

I find myself more in agreement with these (paraphrased) words of a friend-of-a-friend's 4-year old son: "That movie would have been pretty good if she had died at the end. And if there was no singing."

I would not recommend the movie.

I also recently saw Despicable Me 2 (2013). From the previews I had seen last year, I wasn't too excited about the movie. It looked like it was just an excuse to have random "funny" minion moments. The actual film lived up to my expectations. I think they tried too hard to do more minion funniness, but it all just seemed too random; it was just for the sake of showing the minions doing hilarious things and had nothing to do with the plot. The plot itself was pretty weak. The whole movie seemed like just one big excuse to show off more minions and a couple of cute Agnes moments.

It's not as good as the first Despicable Me. But it was a decent waste of time.
-Deozaan (July 26, 2014, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think both are a matter of taste.  I liked DM and still liked DM2.  Especially the storyline with the other agent.  My daughter LOVES Frozen.  It's her favorite Disney movie of all time.  I think that it really is a girls movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version