ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (7/182) > >>

40hz:
I nominate Zaine to be the official full-time DonationCoder.com movie reviewer.
-mouser (May 28, 2013, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Seconded!
-barney (May 28, 2013, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree! I say: Do it.  8) ;D

40hz:
Just finished watching a small budget quasi-horror flick called YellowBrickRoad.

Movies you've seen lately

It had an intriguing premise:

One Morning in New England, 1940, the entire population of Friar New Hampshire - 572 people - walked together up a winding mountain trail and into the wilderness. They left behind their clothes, their money, all of their essentials. Even their dogs were abandoned, tied to posts and left to starve. No One knows why. A search party dispatched by the U.S. Army eventually discovered the remains of nearly 300 of Friar's evacuees. Many had frozen to death. Others were cruelly and mysteriously slaughtered. The bodies of the remaining citizens are still unaccounted for. Over the years, a quiet cover-up operation managed to weave the story of Friar into the stuff of legends and backwoods fairy tales. The town has slowly repopulated, but the vast wilderness is mostly untracked, with the northern-most stretches off limits to local hunters and loggers. In 2008, the coordinates for the "YELLOWBRICKROAD" trail head were declassified. The first official expedition into a dark and twisted wilderness will attempt to solve the mystery of the lost citizens of Friar...and reach the end of the trail. Written by Andy Mitton and Jesse Holland
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, it didn't live up to its potential. For openers, unless I had read the above synopsis, I wouldn't have been aware of half the details in it because the film glossed over most of them. Especially the military cover-up part which is almost completely absent except for an extremely brief allusion or two in the first 15 minutes of the film.

Some people have read some of H.P. Lovecraft's elements into the movie. Which was what got me interested initially. But as a Lovecraft fan, I can't really find many HPL influences in it other than the film's employment of a New England setting where weird and unexplainable things had occurred. Those who have compared it to some of Lovecraft's stories like The Dunwich Horror or The Colour Out of Space either never actually read them - or have a far better ability to see thematic influences (that aren't there) than I do.

A very so-so movie. Not really that bad - as long as you don't expect too much - and have an hour and forty-something minutes to kill like I did.

I'd give it a 4 on a scale of 10.

Next up will be The Corridor. Maybe tomorrow night. 8)

4wd:
I'd give it a 4 on a scale of 10.-40hz (May 30, 2013, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

A bit too generous, I'd go for 3.  ;)

Next up will be The Corridor.
--- End quote ---

Was an interesting idea but, for me anyway, pretty forgettable.

Watched Banlieue 13 the other night starring David Belle, one of the developers of Parkourw.

Last night was Gin gwai 2.

40hz:
I'd give it a 4 on a scale of 10.-40hz (May 30, 2013, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

A bit too generous, I'd go for 3.  ;)

-4wd (May 30, 2013, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're probably right. I was originally going to opt to give it a 3. But I threw in an extra point because the cast made such an extraordinary effort to wring at least some drama out of so little a script. Something the female characters IMO did much better than the guys in this film.

(Oh yeah...and that The Shining/Twin Peaks influenced twist "ending" was totally bogus.  :-\)
 ;D :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Watched Banlieue 13 the other night starring David Belle, one of the developers of Parkourw.
-4wd (May 30, 2013, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great movie!  District B13 for anyone looking for it in the states.  D13:U was as usual a cash grab, but even though it suffered in comparison, it's still worth a look aslo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version