ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Good for Nick D'Aloisio!!

(1/4) > >>

kyrathaba:
Kudos to Nick D'Aloisio, the 17-year old entrepreneur!

mouser:
Read the article and what it says he is being paid millions for.
Makes no sense to me.  Must be something more to what he is being paid for.
Then again, very little in this world regarding money makes sense to me so..

kyrathaba:
Apparently he was financed since age 15 to create a startup to work on his Summly idea, backed by the likes of Ashton Kutchner, Yoko Ono, and some Hong Kong billionaire. I'd love to know the nitty-gritty backstory...

I'm sure this is just Yahoo's way of co-opting him, and being able to capitalize on the future of his tech innovations.

mouser:
Yeah I'm not questioning the value of his company or his worth as an Entrepreneur.  Or rather, I think the value assigned to such things are ridiculously offensively out of line for everyone in this game, no reason he shouldn't get the same overinflated payouts as all of the other winners in this non-nonsensical lottery game we call capitalism.

I was mainly reacting to the focus of the article that the central value of his work is an algorithm that summarizes long form text.  Such algorithms have been an active area of reasearch in automated text processing systems for decades and it's inconceivable that he made anything but a token contribution to that field.

There may be many reasons why they are paying him so much and publicizing the fact so loudly -- but access to his algorithm for summarizing articles cannot have played a significant role, imho.

40hz:
Read the article and what it says he is being paid millions for.
Makes no sense to me.  Must be something more to what he is being paid for.
Then again, very little in this world regarding money makes sense to me so..
-mouser (March 26, 2013, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

My exact feelings about most of what passes for "business" when it comes to the Internet.

From what I've seen, the clothes have no emperor more often than not. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version