topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is there a News Reader that Searches the News?  (Read 3635 times)

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a News Reader that Searches the News?
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:49 PM »
There used to be a terrific little News Reader program called Jyte that is no longer supported.  What this program did better than anything I have found is that it would continuosly search RSS news feeds based on a user defined keyword search and it would only pull in the headlines of articles that fulfilled the Boolean search criteria.

The following link is a review of this now-defunct program http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/stories/storyReader%24143

I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that does the same thing???

Thanks,
jdd

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there a News Reader that Searches the News?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:14 PM »
I don't know anything that does precisely that -- but I know both Opera's M2 and Lektora (a firefox/IE plugin) have the ability to have persistent searches -- you set up a search and it effectively acts as a filter, of sorts -- a virtual folder collecting all relevant stories.  While you're still downloading everything, you don't have to go searching manually for the items you're after.  This is a feature I, personally, take great advantage of.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there a News Reader that Searches the News?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:31 PM »
Sounds like a spider program. As Allen noted, you can set up keyword searches and filters that will flag anything you want, presuming you're subscribed to it. But if one of your feeds is technorati or Del.icio.us, then you will more likely grab more than you'll ever have time to read. I love Opera's M2, but also use FeedDemon.