topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Clipboard extender that does not need an exe file to run  (Read 5267 times)

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,
if something matching the following description exists already, please let me know. I would not even know how to formulate the fitting question.
My problem:
At my office we are switching from a quite open XP environment to a totally lockdown Windows 7. We can work with some allowed applications, but executing any other exe file is prohibited. Drive C with programs and OS is hidden, installing anything is not possible. User rights are restricted. Just imagine any no-fun, paranoid, as little administration as possible provider and you got our new IT crowd.
After using ditto for 10odd years I dread the moment having to do anything manually again.
My question:
Is it possible to program a clipboard extension whatsoever that runs from a whatever programming environment (java, ahk, you name it) and circumvents the barricades of the user settings?
Thanks for thinking
Thomas
Berlin, Germany
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Clipboard extender that does not need an exe file to run
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Wow that IS no fun. There is no way to get around that using a program. Best way I can think of is to use a folder on your desktop and keep your clips in there in a text file and you would have to copy and paste from that.

Another way would be to use the dos command CLIP. You can have a BATch file that copies a text file with your clip in it to the clipboard and then you can paste it. Not the best way, but I think that may work.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26 AM »
If you're not allowed to run un-authorized executables, then don't expect to be allowed to run scripts or script-like languages!

You'd better have the applications you want to use validated and authorized by your IT department, so you can run them like you are used to.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Yea..  Tell THE MAN to stop beating your down!   8)

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Hello all,

thanks for your answers. I will have to live with the new situation.
There is no way to get THE MAN into helping me.  Our new IT crowd distributes a working environment with a fixed number of programs we need. Anything else is blocked. If we need additional programs, we have to pay. Ditto (the freeware) would cost some 20+ $ PER MONTH AND PER PC.

I will just do less work in the same time. Two of the greatest time savers are not available anymore. Ditto and Filebox Extender.

As I can't be fired (hired for life), THE MAN pays me my income even if my productivity goes down. I can live with that.

Thomas
Berlin, Germany
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I think .vbs (VB Script) files are native to Windows, but I'm sure that even that would be treated as a "rouge script."  (not a %100 sure.  not a programer.)

jf3000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Justin Bieber - The Video Archive
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15 AM »
Hmmm I dont even understand the question in the first post. My first question would be to see if the environment can run a 32/64bit app and also which version of .NET is running on the machine then build the app from there, which can be standalone and not require any installations, plus from the sounds of it, it would be a small app anyway.
.NET programmer, always looking for new programming friends. CNET is where all my software is posted and released.