ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LXLE Linux anyone?

(1/5) > >>

dantheman:
We haven't discussed any Linux stuff much lately...

LXLE is a nice Ubuntu distro i've recently stumbled upon.
It's got a few glitches (mostly on fresh install such as direct install which fails at present time; doesn't seem to capture profile image on install) but other then that, i find it to be the most lightweight and fastest distro at present time.

One of the things that keeps me from becoming 100% penguin user is the equivalent programs to Windows that aren't simply as good.
Any real Windows Explorer alternatives with file preview in Linux?

There are of course many other issues...

40hz:
We haven't discussed any Linux stuff much lately...
-dantheman (March 22, 2013, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's because f0dder won't allow it! :P ;D

Ok. Lets get more serious now. :-[

Can't say much about LXLE. It's not tracked by Distrowatch.com (which is unusual) and there doesn't seem to be much information or specs posted on their website - although I do appreciate the little essay the builder wrote about the motivation and goals behind creating it. Something I wish more distros would do.

For lightweight feel and a solid build (with no weirdness or oddball glitches) I'd have to hand the job to  CrunchBang Linux. That's my current go-to distro for most laptops or older desktops. Really like that Ninja-charcoal-zero-bling look too! (And the chicks love it! :mrgreen:) But don't let it fool you. Beneath that austere desktop (with a nice mix of Conky monitors sitting in the upper right corner) lurks all the usual penguin goodness found in any Linux distro. It's all just a click away courtesy of the OpenBox desktop manager. A right-click anywhere brings up the menu wherever your mouse pointer is. Very old-school Smalltalk style that is! And addictive once you start using it.

LXLE Linux anyone?

If you like light but still powerful, be sure to take CrunchBang for a 'live spin." Installs like a dream too.  :Thmbsup:

dantheman:
Actually, it was thanks to DistroWatch' newsletter that i discovered it.

CrunchBang is a familiar name but i've never taken it out for a spin yet.
Manjaro has a similar version out over the last while.
Don't mind simplicity of an uncluttered Openbox desktop but i do appreciate (and need) an easy way to install apps.
Manjaros' way to install Dropbox for example (via yaourt -S dropbox command) is not user friendly (from a Windows user point of view) compared to Ubuntu style via software center.

40hz:
Actually, it was thanks to...
-dantheman (March 22, 2013, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oops! Well...that's what I get for speed-skimming DW's newsletter so much lately.  :-[

I also have a very bad habit of tending to ignore distros that are either "just announced" or on the waiting list. Mostly because so many of them tend to disappear without fanfare (and a fair degree of regularity) within a year or so of announcement. As my reliance on Linux increases, so too has my concern for the long term. When I was still a hobbyist I loaded and loved just about every new distro that came out. Now that I've put Linux into production for my own business and personal use, I've focused and standardized on the players I have reasonable expectations will still be around for as long as I need them.

What can I say? I guess I've become a somewhat grumpy penguin. ;D :Thmbsup:

dantheman:
Well, Distros' newsletter didn't say much about LXLE but the overall experience was a pleasant surprise.
For some reason, the add/remove software program only worked on reboot but that's something i've come to expect from most Linux distros (i.e. headsets).

That too is one of the reasons that makes me hesitate from taking the Linux plunge.
Alot of things just don't seem to run out of the box.
You have to search and search and search before you finally find a solution (if it exists).

How long did it take you 40hz to become a standardized penguin user?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version