ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Application Settings Backup and Restore tools?

<< < (2/2)

justice:
Ah that's the one! I never continued to use it either but I cannot remember why - it's worth a look, although I'm not sure how it functions under Vista and newer.

4wd:
When you think about it, this is probably something that could be knocked up in AutoIt, reading a simple ini file that contains reg values and dirs/files to backup under a section for each program.

There speaks the voice of naivety :P

justice:
The problem is supporting all the programs via a plugin system thats so easy and rewarding that everyone can use it, contibutions are automatically distributed to all users, people will be happy to spend time to test it to avoid data loss, etc. Then when a new operating system comes a long these applications might cause incompatibilities or new problems because the application data thinks its still using the old one.

Interesting ideas and problem to try and work out (perhaps for a team of 3 people) - however I've just given up on trying to find a solution and reinstall from scratch. :P

justice:
Perhaps a program that is free with a subscription update service to send out the definitions - then again I don't think people will pay for it unless its a module as part of a bigger backup program - so theres no market for it. Ah unless software authors sponsor it so that they can include official definitions - anyway thats offtopic :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version