ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!

<< < (9/11) > >>

Babis:
Babis,

But this is just the same problem - you have to remember lots of shorthand triggers.  OK, they're arguably easier than arcane key combinations, but while it's easy to remember the ones you use all the time, it's harder to remember the rarer ones.  That's why I'd still like a point-and-shoot GUI for both hotkeys and hotstrings.

-rjbull (May 24, 2006, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi rjbull.
I am using editplus as editor for the .ahk files, which btw is the best editor, have a look at the first snap, how nice the script file looks in editplus.

I found in autohotkey forums, here: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic6613.html&highlight=editplus
a trick, which enables me each time I press Ctrl + F11 to have a list of all hotkeys & hotstrings, as follows:

This maybe a solution for you.

rjbull:
each time I press Ctrl + F11 to have a list of all hotkeys & hotstrings, as follows:
-Babis (May 24, 2006, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks - probably would be if I used EditPlus   ;)

I can't see the images.  Are they not available from the server yet?

Edvard:
rjbull: After all, looking at AHK's help file is overwhelming for a newbie.
--- End quote ---
Yes if you went from start to finish, but I LEARNED Autohotkey from the help file. I simply typed what I thought I might need in the search box and read into the topics that came up. Deciphering the Powerpro scripting tutorial gives me a headache. I also agree that AutoHotkey is so much more than hotkeys, like PowerPro is so much more than buttons. Speaking of PowerPro...
You mean, its an application suited to people with advanced degrees in mathematics, who make their living as system analysts, and play chess as a hobby...
--- End quote ---
No, just those possessing bullheaded persistence. I'm as dumb as your average American, and I figured out how to put PowerPro to pretty good use.
;)

p.s. because I can't afford 30 bucks for a fancy text editor, I use SciTe.

rjbull:
Edvard,

I LEARNED Autohotkey from the help file. I simply typed what I thought I might need in the search box and read into the topics that came up.
-Edvard (May 24, 2006, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still hard going, because it's more a reference manual.  It doesn't make it very clear (to me) when and where you'd choose WinClose or WinKill, for example; more information required...  I understand the AHK forums are very active, though.

Speaking of PowerPro...
[...]
No, just those possessing bullheaded persistence. I'm as dumb as your average American, and I figured out how to put PowerPro to pretty good use.

--- End quote ---

Dumb as the average America who worked on the space program, maybe!  :)  But I still think PowerPro is hard.  I'm not the only one - even such a Titan as CarolHaynes says so;

Trouble is it is just too damn complicated to make use of. I have a very short attention span and every time I think "I'll have another go at PowerPro" it holds my attention for about half an hour and then I want to throw something at it.

--- End quote ---
full message/thread here

Edvard, can I coax you into doing some kind of min-review of PowerPro?  So that we can get an idea of its strengths and weaknesses compared to other macro programs, and how to approach it?  I couldn't even figure out how to make buttons specific to a particular program   :-[

p.s. because I can't afford 30 bucks for a fancy text editor, I use SciTe.

--- End quote ---

I "grew up" on DOS, and prefer WordStar editors.  I still use my DOS WordStar-style programs for getting any significant amount of text down on disk.  One of the nice things about AHK is that, when you run a DOS program under Win2K, AHK's hotstrings still work, if slightly slowly.

brotherS:
I "grew up" on DOS, and prefer WordStar editors.  I still use my DOS WordStar-style programs for getting any significant amount of text down on disk.  One of the nice things about AHK is that, when you run a DOS program under Win2K, AHK's hotstrings still work, if slightly slowly.
-rjbull (May 25, 2006, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are so many good editors around... is it really worth running an old DOS editor? For some casual editing, I'm using win32pad - it's very light-weight and free: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Win32Pad/944076528/1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version