ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!

<< < (7/11) > >>

brotherS:
Someome, please chime in and let me know that I'm not the only absentminded nut who has no use for a hotkey utility, because he can't remember all the damned hotkey combos?  Anyone?

:feedback:
-Scott (June 01, 2005, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

With autohotkey you don’t have to remember any key combinations.
You can launch anything simply by typing a word of your choice, as follows:

::#winrar::
Run, C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
return
--- End quote ---

So by typing “#winrar” you can launch winrar.
-Babis (May 23, 2006, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi Babis!

Yes, that's an important statement. Although I prefer my triggers to start with a "." instead of "#", you are right. I use these AHK hotstrings in addition to the hotkeys, for example for folder names, URLs, postal addresses, ... you name it! :D

reko100:
Ops....i think i type into the quote.... :P

Yes, i agree totally...i think most of my scripts are trigger by AHK hotstrings rather that AHK hotkeys.... 

Edit by brotherS: I deleted your other post, please just use the "Modify" button to fix it next time :) (instead of writing a second post)

Harrie:
Speaking of having a hard time remembering a slew of hot keys, that is one reason I very much like and use the program ActiveWords.   (Yeah, I use several programs simultaneously - Instant Text, ActiveWords, AHK!)  The neat thing about ActiveWords is that you give your scripts intuitive words and then hit your trigger key, which can be one of the F keys, one you assign, or double spacebar.  Double spacebar works out very nicely for me.  Anyway, I use it for all sorts of things, including some of my Word macros.  I have many, many of those, too, and eventually, you need to start giving them bizarre shortcut keys in order to not conflict with any other important or oft-used shortcut keys.  So I give them the bizarre shortcuts, but use ActiveWords to call them.  For instance, a macro to fix all hyphens to nonbreaking hyphens is called with just typing "hyp" and double spacebar. 

I'd love to do a review of ActiveWords some time soon! 

In the meantime, here's a link 

Wow, you all have mentioned several programs I've never even heard of.  This ought to be a fun thread to take my time with.   ;D

rjbull:
Edvard,

I don't agree that PowerPro is hard, just complex. You must learn what it CAN do, then HOW to do it, then figure out WHAT you WANT it to do.
-Edvard (May 23, 2006, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

You mean, its an application suited to people with advanced degrees in mathematics, who make their living as system analysts, and play chess as a hobby...  i.e., relentlessly logical...   :o

And while you may have stated the ideal case, in practice the cart is before the horse.  My scenario is more likely to be: "Oh.  I have to do this job 50 times (and maybe never again), and they want it this afternoon.  How can I speed that up now?"

This takes Patience and Perseverance which also takes Time. These things, taken as a group, are lacking for most people.

--- End quote ---

You got that right   :(

After that, PowerPro is (almost) everything I need. I use Autohotkey because I quite dislike the PowerPro scripting, and I can compile into .exe's and impress my boss!

--- End quote ---

I'm surprised that you dislike its scripting, which I wouldn't have thought all that different in difficulty.  After all, looking at AHK's help file is overwhelming for a newbie.

rjbull:
Babis,

With autohotkey you don’t have to remember any key combinations.
You can launch anything simply by typing a word of your choice
return-Babis (May 23, 2006, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

But this is just the same problem - you have to remember lots of shorthand triggers.  OK, they're arguably easier than arcane key combinations, but while it's easy to remember the ones you use all the time, it's harder to remember the rarer ones.  That's why I'd still like a point-and-shoot GUI for both hotkeys and hotstrings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version