ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!

<< < (6/11) > >>

brotherS:
Like others, I find it hard to remember 1001 hotkey combinations.  Do any of these types of applications, preferably free or dirt cheap, allow you to pop up a menu and point and shoot?
-rjbull (May 23, 2006, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't personally have that problem (but then I'm using less than 500 hotkeys only ;)), but you could create GUIs with AutoHotkey to use for those actions you only perform rarely. Or you could create a simple .txt file for your hotkeys and let AutoHotkey pop that up with another hotkey - so you'll only have to remember that 'master' hotkey :)

rjbull:
I'm using less than 500 hotkeys only
-brotherS (May 23, 2006, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

By the time you've added in all the hotkeys programs have defined for themselves, it would be interesting to know how many the average user does know...

but you could create GUIs with AutoHotkey to use for those actions you only perform rarely.

--- End quote ---

I would like a similar "instant search" FARR-like search GUI for AHK hotstrings too, cf. the threads on jgpaiva's hotstring importer and Harrie's review of Instant Text.  But I don't have that level of skill, and I also use Win98 systems some of the time, where AHK hotstrings don't work anyway.

Or you could create a simple .txt file for your hotkeys and let AutoHotkey pop that up with another hotkey - so you'll only have to remember that 'master' hotkey

--- End quote ---

HoeKey, which I've been playing with in only the last couple of days, encourages you to do something very like that.  You can scroll through the window, but I thought it was a pity that once you did, you couldn't instantly point-and-shoot from it.

Edvard:
You can do something like it with PowerPro, which offers buttons with tooltips rather than a menu as such, but PowerPro is just too hard for most people.
--- End quote ---
hehe I use Autohotkey AND powerpro and the only hotkeys I have programmed are ctrl-shift-c to center the active application and ctrl-shift-space to kill the active application. Why? because they fit my left hand, aren't used by anything else and my right hand is (inefficiently, I know) at the mouse 50% of the time. The other hotkeys I use most often are the system ones for cut, copy, paste.
I don't agree that PowerPro is hard, just complex. You must learn what it CAN do, then HOW to do it, then figure out WHAT you WANT it to do. This takes Patience and Perseverance which also takes Time. These things, taken as a group, are lacking for most people. After that, PowerPro is (almost) everything I need. I use Autohotkey because I quite dislike the PowerPro scripting, and I can compile into .exe's and impress my boss!

Speaking of Un*x how about vi? Hotkeys are the only way it even looks like your using a text editor! And how about Rat Poison for a X window manager? No mouse! (bad graphics, yes, but the  idea is solid.)

Babis:
Someome, please chime in and let me know that I'm not the only absentminded nut who has no use for a hotkey utility, because he can't remember all the damned hotkey combos?  Anyone?

:feedback:
-Scott (June 01, 2005, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

With autohotkey you don’t have to remember any key combinations.
You can launch anything simply by typing a word of your choice, as follows:

::#winrar::
Run, C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
return
--- End quote ---

So by typing “#winrar” you can launch winrar.

brotherS:
I'm using less than 500 hotkeys only
-brotherS (May 23, 2006, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
By the time you've added in all the hotkeys programs have defined for themselves, it would be interesting to know how many the average user does know...
-rjbull (May 23, 2006, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would like a similar "instant search" FARR-like search GUI for AHK hotstrings too, cf. the threads on jgpaiva's hotstring importer and Harrie's review of Instant Text.  But I don't have that level of skill, and I also use Win98 systems some of the time, where AHK hotstrings don't work anyway.
-rjbull (May 23, 2006, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
I can only recommend to spend some time with AHK, it's truely amazing what you can do with it! I too started at a complete AHK newbie.
Regarding Win98: get rid of it as soon as you can, you will enjoy life more. Been there, done that...

hehe I use Autohotkey AND powerpro and the only hotkeys I have programmed are ctrl-shift-c to center the active application and ctrl-shift-space to kill the active application. Why? because they fit my left hand, aren't used by anything else and my right hand is (inefficiently, I know) at the mouse 50% of the time.
-Edvard (May 23, 2006, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Very inefficiently :) The two biggest time-savers for me personally were a) learning how to type without looking at the keyboard b) touching the mouse only 1% of the time by learning how to use the keyboard.

You must learn what it CAN do, then HOW to do it, then figure out WHAT you WANT it to do. This takes Patience and Perseverance which also takes Time. These things, taken as a group, are lacking for most people.
-Edvard (May 23, 2006, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are right, most people now want it now, immediately and without having to read anything to get what they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version