ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!

<< < (5/11) > >>

brotherS:
[UPDATE]: I now use AutoHotkey exclusively for all hotkey and keyboard shortcuts on my computer.
-zridling (June 01, 2005, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Welcome in the club! :) I believe you read the first post in https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0 ?

Using AutoHotkey, you can overwrite even the existing system hotkeys if you want, such as those that use the WinKey (WK below):
[...]
WK+F
Find Files using Windows Search
[...]
-zridling (May 23, 2006, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I've replaced this (and a similar hotkey) to use the far better Locate: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1385.0

:-* AutoHotkey :-*

reko100:
Yes...i know i can replace exsisting hotkey on my system using Autohotkey....

But that is what I am not trying to do....i am trying to map my hotkeys to unused combinations so that i dont erase "well known" shortcuts which i dont use now but might use later....Hope this is clear as i cant express myself in english as it is not my native language.... ;)

brotherS:
Yes...i know i can replace exsisting hotkey on my system using Autohotkey....

But that is what I am not trying to do....i am trying to map my hotkeys to unused combinations so that i dont erase "well known" shortcuts which i dont use now but might use later...
-reko100 (May 23, 2006, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just have a look at the list of hotkeys above. Those are the main ones being used... if you are still worried, just press the shortcut you want to use before you add it to your AutoHotkey script - if nothing happens, there's a good chance it's not being used already ;)

Advice: simple, short hotkeys like Alt+h etc. are used in several programs already, that's why I like to use more complicated ones like Win+Shift+f etc. in AutoHotkey.

rjbull:
reko100,

I think you mean, you want a way of listing what hotkeys are already in use now, and which ones are still free, so you can avoid ones already in use?

I suppose the best we can hope for is a way of listing the keys Windows itself uses.  So many programs have so many hotkeys set already, like The Bat! for example.

rjbull:
For compeatists, here are a couple I found recently;

JDN Hotkeys
The author made a post on the NetEZ forum
here with a few more details, like the fact that it has issues on Win98.  It does some unusual things, like using one hotkey to modify another.  In fact he recommends the simple, small and fast Hoekey, with AutoHotKey as a deluxe package, and his own JDN Hotkeys for experienced users.

Hoekey is incredibly small - the download is only 25K!

Like others, I find it hard to remember 1001 hotkey combinations.  Do any of these types of applications, preferably free or dirt cheap, allow you to pop up a menu and point and shoot?  I believe you can do so with Macro Express, but that's a big heavy application.  You can do something like it with PowerPro, which offers buttons with tooltips rather than a menu as such, but PowerPro is just too hard for most people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version