topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store  (Read 9005 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:57 PM »

Google kicks ad-blocker apps off Play store

Google has given several ad blocker apps the boot for being in violation of its developer distribution agreement.
Advertising blocking apps Ad Blocker, AdBlock Plus, AdAway and AdFree were all taken off Google Play overnight after Google enforced a term in its developer agreement prohibiting developers from disrupting others' services.

http://www.zdnet.com...lay-store-7000012610

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I can see both sides of the fence there.

The terms don't outline what "unauthorised" means...

But if the user installs it, it is clearly "authorised". That's hardly a question.

...but ad blockers clearly interfere with the ad-related services and revenues on Android. Adblock Plus for instance includes YouTube ads among the banners and popups it blocks, which is surely not good for the Google property.

But how is it any different from blocking ads on a desktop/laptop? It's not. The only thing is that the people serving ads haven't "authorised" the ad blocker.

It seems to me that this is more corporate interference on users' property. Your phone belongs to YOU and not Google, so just how does Google get off saying what is and isn't authorised for your phone?

Then, there's whatever they want to put in their store... which makes sense. It's their store after all.

So, I can kind of see Google's point there. Google doesn't "authorise" the app, so that's the end of the story: Is the app "authorised" for the Google Play Store? Very similar to how Apple censors apps in their app store. Your house, your rules I suppose.

Guess it then comes down to whose house do you want to go over to?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I can see both sides of the fence there.

The terms don't outline what "unauthorised" means...

But if the user installs it, it is clearly "authorised". That's hardly a question.

...but ad blockers clearly interfere with the ad-related services and revenues on Android. Adblock Plus for instance includes YouTube ads among the banners and popups it blocks, which is surely not good for the Google property.

But how is it any different from blocking ads on a desktop/laptop? It's not. The only thing is that the people serving ads haven't "authorised" the ad blocker.

It seems to me that this is more corporate interference on users' property. Your phone belongs to YOU and not Google, so just how does Google get off saying what is and isn't authorised for your phone?

Then, there's whatever they want to put in their store... which makes sense. It's their store after all.

So, I can kind of see Google's point there. Google doesn't "authorise" the app, so that's the end of the story: Is the app "authorised" for the Google Play Store? Very similar to how Apple censors apps in their app store. Your house, your rules I suppose.

Guess it then comes down to whose house do you want to go over to?

Good attempt to be balanced, Ren!

However, I'm disturbed that after having "lost several battles" on desktops, once Mobile came around, suddenly companies saw a chance to start over and build in some nice new toys for themselves by locking down the OS's hard. So yes it's "Google's Store" (or, sideways, Apple's for the iPhone), but if the only way to get software onto the phone is through that store, it starts to make a disturbing chain where the sum of the pieces is far scarier than each piece presented "innocently" by itself. (Which is a MAJOR current brain-hack that media has really accelerated in the past 15 years or so!!)

>:(

I'm kinda disturbed exactly how we "allowed" this to arise in mobile space. What exactly makes a phone different in people's minds that lets them do all this stuff? "Ooh, it makes phone calls, and has a list of real-people contacts. I know! Let's let the companies take away all our freedoms!! Yay!! The Avengers made a cute little swipe at some of this "you! you BEG to be subjugated!!"

So okay, we have three companies who are "differently evil" (Apple, Google, MS). What will it take for some random bored 77 year old billionaire who is dying of cancer and so doesn't care about his money to make a "pure clean free" company?? That's what I wish would happen.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57 PM »
However, I'm disturbed that after having "lost several battles" on desktops, once Mobile came around, suddenly companies saw a chance to start over and build in some nice new toys for themselves by locking down the OS's hard. So yes it's "Google's Store" (or, sideways, Apple's for the iPhone), but if the only way to get software onto the phone is through that store, it starts to make a disturbing chain where the sum of the pieces is far scarier than each piece presented "innocently" by itself. (Which is a MAJOR current brain-hack that media has really accelerated in the past 15 years or so!!)

Actually one of the good things about Android is you are not limited to PlayStore - you can download an installer file and install it manually outside the PlayStore eco-structure.

Just open Android browser to www.adblockplus.org and hey presto - two clicks and Adblock Plus is installed - having said that I am not impressed with the way it totally screws up websites on Android - never had any issues on the desktop but I went to http://uk.yahoo.com on Android's browser with and without AdBlockPlus enabled and the blocked site was completely unreadable and unusable. Removing Adblock plus now!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:06 PM by Carol Haynes »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Actually one of the good things about Android is you are not limited to PlayStore - you can download an installer file and install it manually outside the PlayStore eco-structure.
-Carol Haynes (March 14, 2013, 08:57 PM)

Nice to know! So then we just need to spread the word where to get adblockers from somewhere else than the store. : )

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Read my edited post above ... AdBlock Plus for Android is not working well at all - unless you want all browsers to freeze, crash out or display unusable pages!

Word of warning - it also screws up proxy settings! Not a big problem on recent Android builds but on older builds the user can't edit the proxy setting, esp. on un-rooted devices.

Read the install notes and FAQs on adblock's website before messing about with this.

Definitely not ready for prime time IMHO!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:16 PM by Carol Haynes »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Eek!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Good attempt to be balanced, Ren!

Every now and then I try. :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I don't have a problem with a company refusing to be involved with, or in support of something. If Google does not want ad blockers in their store, that is their prerogative.

What I do have a problem with is that this same store is the duly authorized and official channel for which to obtain and install software for this platform. And while Android may be "Google's" - it was based on Linux. So the notion of attempting (however loosely) to restrict what gets loaded under it strikes me as playing a little fast and loose with the GPL. And although Android is officially been released by Google under the Apache License, that doesn't change the fact that GPL3 also applies.

Being able to do a side install -while fine as a workaround - is still a workaround. And it's a dangerous thing to tolerate since it opens up the possibility for a huge can of legal worms some time down the road.

I'm all for Google's decision. It makes sense since ad blocking runs counter to Google's business model.

What I object to is being single-sourced on an "authorized" way to purchase and install software. Maybe Android doesn't put you through the hoops Apple does making you jailbreak their devices - but it's still hardly acceptable IMO to put any impediment (other than an DIAYOYO warning or two) in the way of what a device owner wants to do with their own device.

The problem is not Google blocking the blockers. The real problem is that Google gets to block anything at all.

-------------------

And yes, I "know" we don't actually "own" our smartphones and tablets, we merely "license" them...

Something to which I (and anybody else with enough of a functioning brain to still support respiratory functions) says: Codswallop!
 >:(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:32 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:12 PM »
If anybody needs the APK for AdFree, I have it. :)

I think it requires root/su privileges. So YMMV.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36 PM »
  Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps, they will tell you what you can and cannot install on the phone you bought.  IMO, it's just wrong, but if you bought the phone with this knowledge in mind, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.  Next time, go with a phone that allows you to install apps from any source.  Perhaps when GoOgle stops their anti-consumerisms, and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs......
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:36 PM by Tinman57, Reason: Some text left out changing the meaning »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs.....

Am I missing something? Google's PlayStore is not like Apple or Microsoft's App store. You can download apps from any web and install it, just tap on the downloaded file. OK they can stop the app appearing on PlayStore but it doesn't stop you manually installing it for the developers website.

Maybe removing AdBlock Plus from Play Store is manipulative - but it may also because it doesn't actually work well and causing a lot of users big headaches on locked phones where they don't have access to Proxy settings!

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I've tried all the Adblockers when their were still in the Playstore, and all of them still displayed Google ads on Google search. Is there an Adblocker that removes Google ads?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 12:12 PM »
On windows there is an addon to Adblock plus to remove google ads (if you mean the ones down the right and side) - not sure if it exists on android. If you mean the embedded ads in the search results I have not seen any way to avoid those.

(actually scratch that it was only to block google ads in Gmail)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 02:34 PM »
On Windows all Adblockers, including Adblock plus remove Google ads just fine. On Android I've tested all of them, and they left Google ads (the ones with yellow background). I guess since they were in Playstore the Devs tried to not piss off Google (but failed).

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Am I missing something? Google's PlayStore is not like Apple or Microsoft's App store. You can download apps from any web and install it, just tap on the downloaded file. OK they can stop the app appearing on PlayStore but it doesn't stop you manually installing it for the developers website.

Maybe removing AdBlock Plus from Play Store is manipulative - but it may also because it doesn't actually work well and causing a lot of users big headaches on locked phones where they don't have access to Proxy settings!
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM)

That's why I lead off with the statement "Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps"

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30 PM »

-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM)

That's why I lead off with the statement "Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps"

Hmmm - I was responding to the comment:

Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs

Which seems to argue that Android is a closed eco-system - have I misunderstood?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Hmmm - I was responding to the comment:

Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs

Which seems to argue that Android is a closed eco-system - have I misunderstood?
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 07:30 PM)

OIC!  I was going to word that differently after I typed it, but got sidetracked by a system error and a cat screaming to go outside.  LOL!  It was supposed to say "Perhaps when GoOgle stops their anti-consumerisms and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs.".... or something like that anyhow. lol  I'll see if it will let me correct it.  Good catch though!   :) 

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification -- I was confused too :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarification -- I was confused too :)

That's why I hate starting a post and getting sidetracked before finishing it.  Seems the older I get, the harder it is to get back on track once interrupted.  Guess my brainium is starting to go by way of the dinosaurs as well.   ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:44 AM »
Talking about trains ... ooo dinosaurs - ah my favourites is the cheesburger

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Talking about trains ... ooo dinosaurs - ah my favourites is the cheesburger
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2013, 02:44 AM)

EXACTLY!!!  ;D