ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (28/32) > >>

wraith808:
Also relevant quote:

I have 600 subscriptions, can Miniflux handle that?

Your life is cluttered.

--- End quote ---

IMO, putting that into a FAQ makes it less clear.  Put down what it can handle, and leave the snark for other applications.

kartal:
I did end up subscribing to Bazqux. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to follow my own advice that the only server you can really trust is the one you yourself control.

So now I'm experimenting with TinyTinyRSS, which looks really promising. The initial test running it on Softalicious' AMPPS stack (highly recommended for any test environment btw) definitely made it look worth pursuing further. If it turns out to be a go I'll eventually do a more permanent version running on a Linux server (probably Arch) and that will be that.

My RSS aggregator - my choice. D.I.Y. or Die! ;D

8)
-40hz (July 10, 2013, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

TinyTinyRss rules. I highly highly recommend it. You can also use either the free or the paid android apps. I have been using it for over 2 years now. It is beautiful and awesomeness. Go for it.

Deozaan:
Google Reader went away and I moved all my feeds to ... something else. I'm not even sure what. But it was a desktop application. And just like that I forgot to keep checking the feeds. And I don't miss it. It's nice not having so much stuff to catch up on every day. I guess I needed to simplify. :)

wraith808:
Google Reader went away and I moved all my feeds to ... something else. I'm not even sure what. But it was a desktop application. And just like that I forgot to keep checking the feeds. And I don't miss it. It's nice not having so much stuff to catch up on every day. I guess I needed to simplify. :)
-Deozaan (July 31, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I have a lot of feeds, but I don't use them often.  Other than a few categories.  The others, I just mark read most of the time.  But when I want to have something to read, it's nice that they're there.

40hz:
-Deozaan (July 31, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I have a lot of feeds, but I don't use them often.  Other than a few categories.  The others, I just mark read most of the time.  But when I want to have something to read, it's nice that they're there.
-wraith808 (July 31, 2013, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perusing a large number of feeds (or magazines or newspapers or other sources) shouldn't pose too big a problem if you exercise some discipline and learn to skim and cull out what is worth reading in full. This is something I learned from a newsperson when I was in college.  

At any point in time I'm actively monitoring a list of between 100 and 150 feeds. About a third of the feeds in this list change periodically depending on what I'm interested in staying on top of.

It doesn't take much to skim through them using the Sage extension in Firefox and mark the articles I want to read later. Anything I want to keep can be filed either in Scrapbook or online in my Pocket account.

Sage makes it extremely easy to rapidly skim tons of articles. The preview popup (see below) is especially useful for you to quickly determine what may deserve a closer look. In my case, maybe 60 articles (web articles tend to be short) actually get read in their entirety each day. That's about the contents of the front section of any major newspaper or a monthly magazine. I have a list of about another 50-100 articles that sit in a folder to be read when I'm traveling or looking for something to read. Most get deleted from the folder once I do.

Google Reader gone

No need to fear the feed.  Just get the right tools and you can sift through a lot of articles panning for gold. As long as you don't let it get you too crazy it's very doable.
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version