topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Reader gone  (Read 103369 times)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Reader gone
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Digg have plans:

Down with the cloud, and down with any cloud-based plans. I have 40 years to live [at the outside], and I believe I can make do with my desktop based paradigm for that period. Dad was able to find a typewriter repairman 3 years ago, I am sure I can find spare parts for my computer in 2050.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Digg have plans:

http://www.digg.com/reader
http://blog.digg.com...re-building-a-reader

I'd trust Digg any more than Google?  Especially after what happened to Digg?

Down with the cloud, and down with any cloud-based plans. I have 40 years to live [at the outside], and I believe I can make do with my desktop based paradigm for that period. Dad was able to find a typewriter repairman 3 years ago, I am sure I can find spare parts for my computer in 2050.

Personally, I think there should be options.  That includes cloud-based.  Let the people decide what they want, rather than anyone deciding what our options are/should be.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03 PM »
The closure of Google Reader has been a painful lesson for many people. Although I have been increasingly worried about my reliance on The Cloud, I tried to be careful about the cloud services I chose.

I was sure that Google would never shut Reader, because although it's a niche service, it's a service used mainly by the early adopters/opinion formers/call them whatever you like -- the people in each household who know about computers, the people who give advice to other household members on what services to use. Google couldn't possibly be stupid enough to shut Reader and face the wrath of the early adopters.

I was wrong.

Lesson 2: the closure of cloud services that you use heavily is more painful than the disappearance of your favourite piece of desktop software. Generally, you can keep using the desktop software for years. The closure of Reader gives me a relatively close deadline to reorganise my online life. I spend most of my online day reading stuff in software that syncs with Reader.

I've installed both Tiny Tiny RSS (free) and Fever ($30) on my own server. I’m currently running both and switching between them to see which I prefer. Fever is easier to set up than TT-RSS.

I already use my own domain for email and use a paid email hosting service. I have no intention of trying Google's new service, Keep, despite my addiction to note-taking apps. Google have made their position clear. In so far as it is possible, it is time to de-cloud, and particularly to de-Google, my life. Hosting your own services is the only rational long-term solution.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Lifehacker recently published a step-by-step on setting up TinyTinyRSS. Read it here.

Syncing RSS Reader with Tiny Tiny RSS and Kick Google Reader to the Curb
Alan Henry   

Yes, Google Reader is going away, and yes, there are great alternatives. However, if you're tired of web services shutting down on you, why not take matters into your own hands? Tiny Tiny RSS is a free, open-source syncing RSS platform with more features than Google Reader ever had, and it can't get shut down. Here's how to install it and set it up.

What You'll Get

Setting up Tiny Tiny RSS requires a little patience, but it's deceptively easy. I had my instance set up and web-accessible within a few hours, and I spent a few more tweaking all of the settings and options just the way I wanted them. At the end of the day you'll have a web page that you can visit at any time, on any device, to read all of the latest articles from the blogs you subscribe to. Tiny Tiny RSS supports filters and labels, so you can organize those feeds into categories, filter out the stories you don't want, and organize them so you read the interesting things first. You can also score feeds, so the blogs you like the most float to the top. There are more features than we have time to get into, but you can read more about them here...

They have an Android app available for it too. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 04:23 AM »
Lifehacker recently published a step-by-step on setting up TinyTinyRSS. Read it here.

They have an Android app available for it too. :Thmbsup:

I tried to set this up, but I'm getting an error:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /index.php on line 98

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /index.php on line 98

Line 98 is:

echo JShrink/Minifier::minify($p->get_js());

I commented out that line and now it works--sort of. Actually, it tells me that I need to use PHP 5.3.0 or newer. I guess I'm still on 5.2.x . . .

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08 AM »
Heise Media UK recently published a fairly extensive article on their H-Open  :-* blog about replacing GoogleReader functionality with currently available software and hosting solutions. Read it here.

For a large number of information collectors and collators on the internet the current challenge is to find a replacement for the Google Reader service. The H's Fabian Scherschel has looked at what functionality made Google Reader popular and what are the current best alternatives to the Reader experience.
This article will give an overview of the most popular alternatives to Google Reader that currently exist, starting with hosted services (open source and proprietary) and progressing to self-hosted, open source alternatives, and one rather unique self-hosted proprietary package. Although the focus here is primarily on web-based software, as we are looking to replicate Google Reader's most important characteristics, we have included a roundup of the native open source RSS readers that are available on the Linux desktop, as some users might want to switch to desktop software instead or use it to complement a web-based service. ...

8)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Thanks very much, 40hz.  I found the H-Open discussion helpful.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42 AM »
I commented out that line and now it works--sort of. Actually, it tells me that I need to use PHP 5.3.0 or newer. I guess I'm still on 5.2.x . . .

Well, that is one of the requirements.  ;D

Heise Media UK recently published a fairly extensive article on their H-Open  :-* blog about replacing GoogleReader functionality with currently available software and hosting solutions. Read it here.

Until reading that article, I didn't know that NewsBlur was downloadable- I might start looking more closely at that...  Thanks 40!

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 02:00 PM »

Thanks for the link -- that's the best summary of options I've seen so far. One thing I'd add -- in the article's description of Fever, it concentrates on the fact that Fever can rank news items by "temperature": a particular news item is hotter the more it is being talked about. But it's worth noting that if you don't include any feeds in Fever's "Sparks" list, then Fever behaves like a normal RSS reader, with all your feeds visible in full, in folders if you use them. I've been using Fever this way -- I haven't used the temperature feature.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42 PM »
TinyTinyRSS sucks.

At first it wouldn't work because of an error in its own code.
Then I had to upgrade PHP (which admittedly shouldn't count against TTRSS)
Then I had to figure out why it couldn't connect to the mysql database (I had to put the username/password/etc. in single quotes instead of double quotes, even though the file had the sample text inside double quotes)
I finally got it working to the point where I could login and configure it and then I tried to import my Google Reader subscriptions but it just encounters some more errors.

:down: :down:

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00 AM »
While I'm definitely shocked about the news, I never saw it coming... I have mixed feelings. My OPML has moved around a lot. There were a few programs (and at least one service (anybody remember Lektora?)) I'd used before Google Reader... and since, I've gone back and forth a lot. I'd find an app or service I liked better and use it, then I'd go back to Google because I wanted to sync with my phone or tablet. This is my problem. Google Reader came along and became the defacto API... and as a result, I've long felt held hostage by Google Reader. I may find an app or service that I like much better but because it doesn't sync with google it only works on one screen. If I want seamless states between my pcs, phone and tablet I've got to have Google in the middle. The sync state was handy, but there was a down side. Google stopped innovating the day they released reader. The only major changes they oversaw were removing social features and, now, pulling the plug.

So I guess I feel liberated. I was on the verge of returning to reader for its API when the news broke... now, they don't have that over my head. Some say RSS is dead but I think Google getting out of the game isn't going to kill it, it's going to breathe life into it. For years now status quo has been refining the interface to the Google Reader API. Now we move on.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I too mourn the loss. I've been searching for an alternative, like everyone else. My need is for it to be cross platform/cross device. I've tried to like Feedly. The web version is great but the mobile versions suck, IMO. I think I have settled on Netvibes. It has the look and feel of GReader. No mobile apps but the mobile web page is pretty slick.

I had used Netvibes already as a start page using the widget interface. If you turn on the Reader interface then it works just like GReader.

I'm anxious to see what Digg is going to offer, and how soon.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 06:12 AM »
I was playing around with some of the alternatives, and noticed something strange in the reviews of the feedly app for chrome on google play -- pretty much all reviews on the first two pages are exactly the same two comments from different people:

Feedly has managed to create a visually appealing RSS reader, that also focuses on a clean simple visual style that is intuitive to use.
and
Since the announcement of Google Reader being discontinued, I have enjoyed this easy app. It also has a simple, attractive interface. Highly recommend.

Does anybody know how this happens?

I am not saying it's some form of scam, but I wonder if it could be something like a 'feature' in the app that lets you post a review if you like it, and suggests some standard quote like this.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12 AM »
..I'm anxious to see what Digg is going to offer, and how soon.

Yes, so am I. I have signed up for their ßeta interest group and user surveys. I have just completed their second survey, in which they link to this very interesting post from BuzzFeed.com - which I had not seen before - about Google Reader and its demise: Google's Lost Social Network.

Warning: If you read it, you might find yourself - like me - getting all pissed-off again about Google killing Google Reader.    >:(

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Bump!

So how's everyone getting on? I plan to stick with my RSS app of choice (Mr.Reader on iPad).

The developer says he's finished implementing support for bazqux.com, feedbin.me, feedhq.org and feedwrangler.net. He's willing to implement support for other services so long as they have Google Reader compatible (or otherwise decent) APIs.

He's also implemented support for Fever (feedafever.com) but people who plan on using it need to know -
The Fever API does not currently allow you to manage feeds and folders (adding new feeds, renaming folders, moving feeds into folders, etc.). Unfortunately I was unable to make contact with the developer (he’s working on other projects).

Feedly has also paired up with 3rd party app devs. Incidentally, they've admitted their apps suck  ;D , though not in so many words. They're hand-picking the apps they're willing to support though.

Some interesting info on the 'Mr.Reader' blog (even for non-users):
Supported Google Reader Alternatives (part one)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33 AM »
I've totally given up on feed reader services. I'll just stick to Sage Reader running under Firefox, and sync through FF's built-in synchronoization feature. Since Sage uses a single folder under the browser's bookmarks to maintain its list of RSS feeds, it's about as easy and transparent as it gets. It can also export an OPML file in case something better comes along.

YMMV. :)  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Well, I am currently experimenting with Yahoo! Pipes to gather the RSS feeds.
It seems pretty powerful, but I am still learning...

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34 AM »
I've been using Feedly for a while and got used to it now... (still waiting for a non-ugly desktop app though).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I have all my RSS feeds in Outlook where they are, and can be quietly and conveniently collected, stored, and completely forgotten. I just checked...and I have just under 5,000 unread items.

Hint: This is not a recommendation.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I'm using Website Watcher - since I'm already using it to watch for changes on sites that don't have feeds, I might as well use it for feeds too. Works decently enough, even if it has a few quirks.
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 01:16 PM »
^ thanks for that tip.  I'm using The Old Reader, but I do have a license to Website Watcher, and that seems to work better on many levels, if worse in one specific case; the fact that a web interface to the results would be stellar.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I've just tried

bazqux.com - really like it - looks good & is very responsive but I don't think they've implemented tags - deal-breaker! :(

feedhq.org - hated it! Low on features + ugly UI.

feedly - I actually find their Chrome client better than Google reader

feedwrangler and feedbin don't have trials so I haven't used them - I don't care for the feedwrangler UI but feedbin looks interesting.

I'll probably join the herd and end up with feedly. Feedbin ($20/yr) might be worth considering depending on how much feedly intends to charge for their Pro service. Most Reader users have gone their way so they should be able to come up with a sensible price point.

[Forgot to screencap my previous [1337] post. Where's the paparazzi when you need them?  :( ]

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 07:00 AM »
My alternatives to GR (Google Reader): (so far)
I have tried and discarded most (but not all) of the alternatives mentioned in this discussion thread. Two look hopeful.
  • 1. Feedly: So far it seems that Feedly could be the closet approximation to the GR UI and functionality, but it seems sluggish, does not have the add-ons that you can get for GR, and ergonomically it is definitely not as good as GR (e.g., it necessitates the use of the mouse quite a lot, rather than having hotkeys, which is slower and is conducive to RSI) and is thus not as productive as using GR. I find GR a bit too slow with its refresh rate anyway, but Feedly seems to work at a frustratingly slow snail's pace.
    I can get Feedly working OK as a Firefox add-on, but the Chrome extension does not work - in Google Chrome or in Chromium - even with popups enabled. Just sits on the login screen. This seems quite  common problem on some of the user forums I have looked at, with no solution or workaround.
    Here are comparison screenshots of GR and Feedly in FF:

------GR:                                     ------Feedly:
    RSS reader - 01 Google Reader.jpgGoogle Reader gone                    RSS reader - 02 Feedly.jpgGoogle Reader gone

Feedly are working on "Normandy" as a replacement for when Google Reader is shut down (Curse you Google!), but it's not finished yet, I gather, so it might not even eventuate.

• 2. Digg: had said they would come up with something, but have not, so far - or not that I can see at any rate - so it might not even eventuate.

This is why I have been experimenting with Yahoo! Pipes as a fall-back feed reader/aggregator, but even that could be deprecated or shut down by Yahoo! at some stage, I presume. It would require some development effort on my part, but the development UI is so simple it's a bit like painting by numbers.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Coincidentally, this from Infoworld.com:    :up:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Feedly wins the Google Reader expat crown

Free RSS service partners with several popular RSS apps, including gReader, Newsify, and Reeder, to keep feeds going after Google pulls the plug
By Gregg Keizer | Computerworld

Feedly, the free RSS service that has been the safe harbor for millions of Internet refugees fleeing the soon-to-be-defunct Google Reader, announced Monday that several popular RSS apps will access its API free of charge.

The move will let users view, read and manage Feedly's news feed from five different desktop or mobile applications, including gReader (for Android; free or $4.99 for Pro version), Newsify (iOS; free), Nextgen Reader (Windows Phone, Windows 8; $1.99-$2.99), Reeder (OS X, iOS; free for OS X, $2.99 for iOS ) and Press (Android; $2.99).

[ Get your websites up to speed with HTML5 today using the techniques in InfoWorld's HTML5 Deep Dive PDF how-to report. | Learn how to secure your Web browsers in InfoWorld's "Web Browser Security Deep Dive" PDF guide. ]

In early March, Google announced it was axing Google Reader as part of housecleaning that killed several other projects as well. The search giant cited declining use of Reader for the decision to retire the RSS service and Google's feed on July 1, 2013.

As millions scrambled for alternatives, Feedly was the first to pledge it would keep users connected by moving them to a homegrown clone of the Google Reader API (application programming interface), code named "Normandy," before Google's service went dark.

In a blog post Monday, Feedly acknowledged that "June is going to be another crazy month," but noted that it is on track to handle the switch from Google Reader and its API, having added more server capacity and revised its apps for iOS and Android, as well as its browser-based interface.

The Palo Alto, Calif. company also laid out a roadmap of future improvements and additions, promising to boost Feedly's speed, develop Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps of its own -- it currently offers free iOS and Android apps -- and improve group sharing.

The five app partners announced Monday are just the first wave, Feedly said, promising more details of others in the future.

Feedly has also said it plans to offer a paid option later this year, but the company has not disclosed pricing, a feature set or even a timetable for the premium service.

Other RSS services that flew under the radar before Google's decision to pull the plug, including the oft-recommended NewsBlur, have also added users, updated their software or begun charging users. Newsblur, for example, handled the flood by temporarily barring new registrations for free access -- that has been restored -- instead asking them to pony up $24 annually to keep the service going.

Feedly also provides browser-specific plug-ins for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari on the desktop, which can be downloaded from its website.

Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is [email protected].

Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
Computerworld is an InfoWorld affiliate.

Tags: Internet, Web Services, Google

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15 AM »
I concluded in an earlier post that hosting your own reader was the only rational solution. But although I have tried my best to like both Tiny Tiny RSS and Fever, neither gives me everything I want.

I ruled out TTRSS quickly. It just seemed a bit clunky to me. And although Fever is very slick, it's almost too slick. It has that iOS/Mac feel with lots of sexy white space that should actually be used for content (I'm a "fill the screen with plain text" kind-of-guy).

To cut a long story short, at the moment I'm trialling Feedbin, which has a nice familiar three-column setup, and I can see my folders and feeds Google Reader-style.

It still feels unfinished in places. For example, in Firefox the first column has a fixed and very narrow width, so all the feed titles are truncated. I pointed this out in the support forum and it turned out it was a bug the developer was aware of but had not dealt with. With a bug like that, Feedbin should still be calling itself a beta.

Like many of these new-ish offerings, Feedbin is basic in other ways. For example you can't adjust fonts or background colours unless you're fairly techy (e.g. you can use userContent.css in Firefox to make adjustments, which is what I did, but it's trial and error).

Rant: why does everyone use white backgrounds? Particularly for sites where you're going to spend a lot of time, it's the worst option. For anyone who feels the same, I already use this excellent Greasemonkey script, which does a great job on 95% of sites, including this forum (and can be tweaked to suit your own tastes). The reason I dismissed Feedly is that it's impossible to change the article background colour. It's always white, no matter what theme you choose, and no amount of playing with userContent.css or the Greasemonkey script could change that.</rant>

The most intriguing offering to me is actually Feed Wrangler, although I haven't tried it. Again looks a bit Mac-y to me, lots of white space. But I like the fact that it already offers smart folders (a.k.a. smart searches/virtual folders). That's not common, and very desirable.

But it doesn't look as if Feed Wrangler offers a basic folders/feeds view like Google Reader. I know it's old-fashioned, but if you have a lot of feeds, it's very efficient. I may be wrong, but Feed Wrangler doesn't offer a trial, so you'd have to be prepared to take a subscription and then ask for a refund if you don't like it, and I'm not that interested yet. I'll keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:30 AM by johnk »