ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (24/32) > >>

40hz:
^FWIW (assuming I understand Bazqux's TOS) you can pay what you want - with the suggested amount being between $9.95 and $29.95 annually. Haven't exhausted my free trial yet so I don't know how true in practice the "any amount" part is. I think $20-$30 annually is reasonable. But my finances aren't somebody else's so YMMV.

Also Bazqux doesn't have free accounts - period. So if you did need a free account, Bazqux won't be on your short list.
 :)

I wish DoCo could put something like this (plus some other web services) together for its members. Especially as paid services to get a steady revenue stream in. Because I'd rather drop my plastic here than elsewhere if I'm spending money.

Josh:
Does anyone know of an IE8 friendly RSS web reader? I have yet to find one. And no, I CANNOT upgrade due to my work environment. We are forced to use IE8.

wraith808:
I wish DoCo could put something like this (plus some other web services) together for its members. Especially as paid services to get a steady revenue stream in. Because I'd rather drop my plastic here than elsewhere if I'm spending money.
-40hz (July 01, 2013, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually a really good idea.  You should create a thread and add the services we're looking for :)  Then maybe we can persuade Mouser to make it a project!

johnk:
I'm sure I've already posted far too much detail about my seemingly endless search for the best Google Reader replacement. But as I seem to be nearing the end of my journey, I feel obliged to sum up. Briefly:

Previously: Google Reader (just for sync, never used it to read), FeedDemon on desktop, Press on Android.

Now: Bazqux on desktop, JustReader on Android (only option at the moment).

First of all, many thanks to Nosh for his encouragement to try BazQux. Indeed I had already tried it, very briefly, but there was so much I didn't like about the web interface:

* the all-white background, with no option to change it (why do they do that? Am I really the only person who can't stand all-white backgrounds?)
* The left (feeds) column was too narrow (many feed titles truncated), with no option to change it.
* Default font size settings seemed odd -- again no options.
* And a few other things besides. Overall, it seemed inelegant.
But Nosh wasn't the only person recommending BazQux. I kept coming across favourable reviews on the web. So I though I'd have another go. And pretty soon the speed was addictive. I think I've tried most of the GR alternatives, and BaxQux is the fastest. Feedbin (which was my favoured option before Bazqux) is almost as fast after its recent server upgrade.

I was impressed enough to spend a couple of hours re-jigging the BazQux interface to see if I could achieve a usable UI (using userContent.css in Firefox), and I came up with this: grey background, wider left column, lots of font and colour changes, padding where I thought BazQux needed some air, etc.

So BazQux it is. I like the fact that it is a paid-for option, it has been going for a year (i.e. before the GR meltdown) and the developer has said on Twitter that revenues are already more than covering his costs. Nothing is risk-free, but...

The only disappointment so far: that I can't hack Feeddemon to use it with Bazqux the way you can for Reedah. I have hex-edited a version of FeedDemon and tried to use it with Bazqux (which also has a Google API clone), but I can't log in. But that was a long shot anyway, and not exactly a long-term solution -- the developer of Basqux is supporting the Open Reader API initiative, and that seems sensible. Let's hope it comes about. And what makes Bazqux stand out in any case is that the speed of its interface means it is a real option for reading in volume. I might not miss FeedDemon as much as I expected.

By the way, the author of BazQux puts the speed of the site down to coding in Haskell. I'm not a programmer, so it means nothing to me, but the conversation may interest others here.

Josh:
I have just stumbled upon the open source (you can download and install it yourself), or hosted solution: http://www.goread.io. Based upon my interaction with this tool, it works fine with IE8, is quick, and mimics Google Reader. This will go payware, merely to cover the costs of hosting as stated in the author's blog post, but I would gladly pay for such a service.

This one is worth a look for everyone.

GoRead.io

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version