ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Seeking Little App w/Specific Actions

<< < (4/4)

siouxdax:
Well, I don't work; I'm disabled. But I love to work on my computer, which has two monitors. I play games, check out Facebook and StumbleUpon, but I don't just do that sort of thing. I like to tinker, for lack of a better word, on my machine. So there's no real "workflow". I'm just very particular to how things are on my monitors. Two big things are high on my list. One is which monitor should an app appear, and of course some have to be tossed back and forth. The other is ensuring the app is centered on the monitor. There are a few I place elsewhere, but most are centered. So, in a nutshell, my workflow is OCD. :)

out of curiosity, what's your workflow here?

just wondering how and why you move windows now (ie is there a 'rule set')
-Target (March 14, 2013, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Target:
so apart from a few apps that 'must' be on a given monitor, all other movements are effectively random?

Just trying to understand how you thought an 'app' might go about managing this

siouxdax:
Well, most of my apps I have "assigned" to a specific monitor. When I install a new app, it takes me some time before I can decide which monitor it belongs to. Two things: all video is on the left. Web browser or anything I'm reading goes on the riight.

Not sure what you meant by "all other movements are effectively random".

so apart from a few apps that 'must' be on a given monitor, all other movements are effectively random?
-Target (March 15, 2013, 01:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Target:
Well, most of my apps I have "assigned" to a specific monitor. When I install a new app, it takes me some time before I can decide which monitor it belongs to. Two things: all video is on the left. Web browser or anything I'm reading goes on the riight.-siouxdax (March 15, 2013, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

so apps could be assigned to one of 2 lists (left or right) and they could be positioned accordingly.  Anything else would float pending allocation

Not sure what you meant by "all other movements are effectively random".
-siouxdax (March 15, 2013, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Two big things are high on my list. One is which monitor should an app appear, and of course some have to be tossed back and forth.

--- End quote ---

nidusin:
RBTray at portableapps.com will handle minimize to tray (freeware). Pretty lightweight, portable and no UI to speak of.
-nidusin (March 14, 2013, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why is the portableapps wrapper needed?

RBTray is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbtray/files/rbtray/4.3/

32-bit/64-bit versions included in the ZIP package.
-PhilB66 (March 14, 2013, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a heavy portable application user so that is where I encountered it. As for why, the site said that there was some ambiguity in the original release as to whether the program was running or not and some user confusion about how to operate the program with no UI.  Not saying that anyone here would fall into that category. The launcher AFAIK, adds a splash screen on first run and a notification that the program is already running on subsequent tries. Seems like a bit of a crutch, aside from making it mesh with their platform. It works like a charm for my workflow though  :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version