ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Linked In... too linked in?

<< < (3/3)

TaoPhoenix:
Yeah, illegal for me to stop them from spamming my friends, but not for them to snatch my address book.   >:(
-Tinman57 (March 12, 2013, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Except it just might be, in a far-reach case we probably won't see until the InfoApocalypse mentioned elsewhere. I saw some rumblings that "specific organizations of data can (Sometimes) be copyrighted." So yes while everything goes away if you sign a EULA, those copyright penalties could be tasty! "My address book, that will be $175,000 please."  

8)

Carol Haynes:
There is a simple way round the address book problem - always sign up to websites with email addresses that are unique to that website. If you host your own email it is dead easy to set up an infinite number of unique addresses that all forward to your main address. That way if you are in someone's address book it won't match the address registered on the social site.

Edvard:
I always figured it was a case of "six degrees of separation".  I get "you may know X" emails all the time and it's somebody I vaguely remember from a place I worked at 15 years ago, but since I've been in and out of the same industry for ~20 years, it's somehow not surprising. 
I used LinkedIn strictly for job networking, and so they have my work history, but not much else, to go on, which prolly explains a lot.  I NEVER gave them my address book nor my Facebook friends list or any of that jive, so my 'real life' friends don't show up, and they don't have my personal email either; I made a new one strictly for business and job hunting.

Renegade:
Why can't companies just stick to doing things well rather than trying to play underhanded tactics?
-wraith808 (March 12, 2013, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because there are NO consequences for their actions, except positive ones. It doesn't matter how unethical or illegal something is -- there's always an upside. The only decision to be made is weighing the risk of getting caught, and weighing the cost of potential fines against profit. e.g. A pharmaceutical company profits to the tune of $12 billion when it knows its drug is killing people. When they are caught, they pay just under $1 billion in fines for a tidy profit of $11 billion. Nobody ever goes to jail. There are numerous examples of outright illegal/immoral actions by companies and in pretty much every case it's better for them to be criminals as it's always profitable and there are no personal consequences. HSBC laundering drug money anyone? The examples go on forever.

There's a special term... "too big to jail."

Why should companies be ethical when it's profitable to be criminal with no negative consequences?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version