ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Half of our users block ads. Now what?"

<< < (6/8) > >>

wraith808:
That's just it (responding to the spoiler).  You don't pay for TV- it's broadcast.  And what is the rule about anything that you don't pay for?

f0dder:
Anyone interested can look up LRPS (long range penetration strain). It's not a new idea and has been around for decades.-Renegade (March 11, 2013, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds painful!  8)

superboyac:
best of all - sell your own product.
-40hz (March 10, 2013, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes.

SeraphimLabs:
The real hassle with adblocking is when you're counting on ad revenue to run a business.

But honestly, the bottom line is very much there even with adblocking. I know people visiting my client sites adblock at a fairly high rate, and I don't completely blame them.

If everything is being managed correctly, a simple header-footer ad arrangement returns nearly 10:1 over the cost of hard drive space and bandwidth. If a business can't make ends meet on that, they either are too small of a scale, or are wasting large sums of money elsewhere.

I actually show a higher return per unit cost giving away hosting than I do selling it. It's all in what kinds of content you have, and how it is presented.

But once again, because big business can't handle playing by the rules and treating the end user with respect, the little guy gets shafted and has to deal with users conditioned to either ignore or block ads.

What really irks me is I have multiple times told the advertising networks text and images only. No flash, no sound. And every time I turn around I'm seeing one of those stupid blinky noisemaking flash ads in my rotation, irritating my clients as much as it irritates me. A few times as well I've observed malware in ads too, although when I find one of these I usually flag it with the advertiser so it gets pulled down.

Tinman57:
The real hassle with adblocking is when you're counting on ad revenue to run a business.

But honestly, the bottom line is very much there even with adblocking. I know people visiting my client sites adblock at a fairly high rate, and I don't completely blame them.

If everything is being managed correctly, a simple header-footer ad arrangement returns nearly 10:1 over the cost of hard drive space and bandwidth. If a business can't make ends meet on that, they either are too small of a scale, or are wasting large sums of money elsewhere.

I actually show a higher return per unit cost giving away hosting than I do selling it. It's all in what kinds of content you have, and how it is presented.

But once again, because big business can't handle playing by the rules and treating the end user with respect, the little guy gets shafted and has to deal with users conditioned to either ignore or block ads.

What really irks me is I have multiple times told the advertising networks text and images only. No flash, no sound. And every time I turn around I'm seeing one of those stupid blinky noisemaking flash ads in my rotation, irritating my clients as much as it irritates me. A few times as well I've observed malware in ads too, although when I find one of these I usually flag it with the advertiser so it gets pulled down.
-SeraphimLabs (March 11, 2013, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  Exactly.  I remember a time when I actually clicked on ads of some of my favorite (free) sites to make them a little cash to keep things running.  But the advertisers started with their bag of tricks, including mouse-trapping which is illegal to start with.  I finally got tired of all their little tricks and started blocking them all.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version