topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Glasses BANNED!  (Read 17799 times)

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Glasses BANNED!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Then facilities that want to disallow recording only have to purchase a small transmitter to provide the required disabling signal.
-SeraphimLabs (March 11, 2013, 12:00 PM)
That's a little dicier a proposition if the disabling mechanism isn't built into the device itself. And I can't see Google willingly doing that without legislation forcing it to do so.
The government is paranoid about maintaining control.

Recording devices in large numbers could very easily be pitched as a threat to national security, because lets face it the government won't be able to get away with anything if everyone who sees it can record it and show footage online. That police abuse is just the tip of the iceberg. False flags? Government inside jobs? Top secret technology? Even just possible political scandals. If they can keep it covered up just by pushing a button on the dash of the cop car, why wouldn't they.

Simply mandating that when devices are exposed to a certain transmission pattern on a certain frequency results in disabling their recording capabilities would be an easy way for them to continue to keep people ignorant. Officials then merely need to make sure these signals are being transmitted while on official functions to prevent them from being recorded, except by authorized equipment for government use only that has the option to override the shutdown signal.

It would be no more questionable than gun control, and far less difficult to implement since the consumer hardware industry would happily lobby in favor of a bill that allows them to sell small transmitters styled similar to wifi hotspots intended to provide this signal for facilities that do not allow recording equipment.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38 PM »
What happens when Google glasses become indistinguishable from normal glasses?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19 PM »
To take the devil's advocate stance here- so we're banning things based on what others *might* do with them?  That seems a bit draconian...

You mean like banning guns and accessories?

That was the (thinly veiled) point.  Thanks.  :Thmbsup: 

But to continue, the same people saying that there out to be more bans are the same people saying that there shouldn't be controls on guns.  Hmm...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 07:08 AM »
people saying that there out to be more bans are the same people saying that there shouldn't be controls on guns.  Hmm...

A wise old college professor of mine once said that when people demand new laws, it's invariably with the intent of regulating somebody else's actions or beliefs. Never their own. Because rules are for other people.
 ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 07:31 AM »
What happens when Google glasses become indistinguishable from normal glasses?
-Carol Haynes (March 11, 2013, 08:38 PM)

They almost are, the non-Google ones. I've been absently following this trend for years, and it's gonna come to a collision point real soon. Because between Carol and Tinman, "they can only ban what their currently stilted imaginations let them ban".

As for "magic disabling carrier frequencies", I don't see that approach really working, it will just lead to "un-moderated" Chinese versions of stuff or something.

On a show of The Panel there was a disturbing response from the panelists that "it's okay to not hire someone based on their Facebook posts because it shows bad judgement to post a pic of you getting drunk blah blah". Oh really?! Now I know why I avoid that hard place only to risk being deemed an anti-social critter for not being on there to begin with.

I love the stories of "Police say _____ _____ _____ ____". 12 hours later: "Man posts pics on Facebook denying police account." Police: "Well, um, we didn't yet have the full information on our officer's conduct".

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33 AM »
A wise old college professor of mine once said that when people demand new laws, it's invariably with the intent of regulating somebody else's actions or beliefs. Never their own. Because rules are for other people.

+1

The most dangerous people are the ones that KNOW what right/wrong is and what you *should* and *shouldn't* do. They're invariably out to save the world because nobody else is capable of running their own life without "guidance".
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37 PM »

+1

The most dangerous people are the ones that KNOW what right/wrong is and what you *should* and *shouldn't* do. They're invariably out to save the world because nobody else is capable of running their own life without "guidance".

Yup. They're called members of the government and clergy. ;D

:tellme: :tellme: :tellme:beep-beep-beep***basement alert***beep-beep-beep :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42 PM »
:tellme: :tellme: :tellme:beep-beep-beep***basement alert***beep-beep-beep :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

I think I pushed the wrong button...  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Queue laughter! ;D

http://news.cnet.com...he-opposition-grows/

Google Glass: The opposition grows

"Stop The Cyborgs" is a new site that attempts to bring a balanced trepidation to the unbalanced idea that we'll all be walking round with Google's outer brain strapped to our faces.

The opposition will congregate in dark corners.

They will whisper with their mouths, while their eyes will scan the room for spies wearing strange spectacles.

The spies will likely be men. How many women would really like to waft down the street wearing Google Glass?

It won't be easy. Once you've been cybernated, there's no turning back. Which is why the refuseniks are already meeting in shaded corners of the Web.

One site is called "Stop The Cyborgs." It claims to be "fighting the algorithmic future one bit at a time."

A sticker being offered on the "Stop The Cyborgs" Web site.

It's going to take a lot of bitty fighting, but the people behind this site -- they're naturally anonymous, in an attempt to stop Google spying on them -- say they're fighting  Google Glass in particular.

They say that it will herald a world in which "privacy is impossible and corporate control total."

Seems there is more resistance than ever.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member