topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 2:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Xara Xtreme goes OpenSource !!  (Read 3638 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Xara Xtreme goes OpenSource !!
« on: April 29, 2006, 06:37 AM »
Bit frustrating here - having bought the product for windows they are now producing Open Source versions for Linux and Mac. Great news for Linux and Mac but what about Windows? I presume it is non-trivial to convert back and compile a free version for Windows.

Here are the details:

announce.png

I don't curently have Linux installed on my box so it would be interesting to see what people think of the port.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Xara Xtreme goes OpenSource !!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 06:56 AM »
Thanks for making me see the Xara xtreme tuturial. It's fantastic software!
Now, i'm hoping they'll make a free version for windows too! :D

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 08:14 AM »

This news actually broke last year--October maybe? Guess it's all happened officially now, eh?  Personally, I don't mind paying for it -- it's well worth the money.  But if you'd rather they support you than you them . . . :D

As an open source project, there will no doubt be more than one free version compiled and released by third parties -- and of course, a pay version which would obviously come with support, documentation, and Xara's seal of approval.

You'll find a lot of your questions answered in the FAQS

Notably:
We have made dramatic price cuts to the latest Windows versions of the software to bring it closer to the free price that Linux users expect. The Windows version continues to include a shipping CD, they can buy a printed manual, and we provide direct customer support to paying customers. In addition the Windows version contains licensed code from third parties (some versions contain Pantone color support, licensed PDF components and other third-party Live Effects plug-ins, fonts and other things) which we can't make Open Source or free. The Windows product, with these premium features, is priced at a small fraction of that of our competitors. If Linux and Mac users want these additional premium features then they will also have to pay for them.

Once the porting over is done, Mac and Linux full versions won't be free -- and in this free stage, several third-party licensed components that cannot be open sourced legally aren't available.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Sorry missed it last year. Actually what you have said (and quoted) makes some sense, esp.the bit about licensed parts of the software that will only be added when the paid for version is produced.

I suppose on this basis it would be good to see a free Xara LX version for the Windows platform too. It couldn't do any harm to their potential sales.

Having used Xara since the days when it was called ArtWorks by Computer Concepts and was only available on RiscOS based systems I really rate Xara's products (I've said this before if you hadn't noticed!) and it is great that Mac and Linux users are going to have a cross platform application of this quality. Also their email support for paying customers is quite good too. I don't really object to paying for the app as it is such good quality. Actually I have Adobe Illustrator installed too (it came as part of the Design Suite) but I still find myself going back to Xara to do any vector work as it just feels much more intuitive to use.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 01:45 PM »
There's really no way around the components they don't own -- they can't give them away, so there'll always be a pay version for professionals, advanced users and people who don't like to have the light version of anything ;) I think it's really cool the way they're embracing the open source movement and opening up to other operating systems -- it's a good move for them and endusers (and future endusers) alike.

I've used quite a few vector based image editors, including much more expensive packages -- including the great, but now unnecessary, Deneba Canvas.  The bottom line for me is nothing is as effectively intuitive, powerful and flexible as Xara -- and now, with the ability to apply editable raster filters in real time (a favorite feature from when I used Canvas (called "sprite filters") basically eliminates any need for strictly raster based image editors, in my opinion.  The release of Xara X pretty much ended my maintenance of vector and raster graphic design software on my system, Xara is all I use.  Xara is one of those applications that has kept me tethered to Windows over the years -- with it becoming available on Linux, as well as my favorite editor and a few other apps, I'd find myself using windows significantly less if not for this community.