ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Listary 4 released - tons of new features

<< < (9/14) > >>

tomos:
(while hoping for somebody else having something better to "offer")
-evamaria (March 14, 2013, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's an interesting idea. It's definitely worth starting a new thread though - would get a better response in it's own thread.
(also, I reckon it would swamp this thread otherwise.)

Ampa:
Where do you find the above info: use the same keyword to group entries?
-tslim (March 14, 2013, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't find the information anywhere, I just tried it, and it worked.

Seemed obvious to me that was how the feature should work, but I admit it could be made a bit more explicit!

As for management of the various projects and associated folders: I agree that the current system is rather basic, as one will end up with an ever growing unordered list of entries.

I suggest discussing with Channing (the author). I have chatted with him about various Listary issues. I've always found him to be very interested / committed / supportive.

Update 1: So I went ahead and made a post on the Listary forums. We'll see what Channing says.

Update 2: Channing has replied to my suggestions, and it looks like Project management will be getting an upgrade in the next version. See thread in update 1 for details.

evamaria:
Understood, tomos.

For my a little bit amateurish comparison between Listary and QuickJump, I have positive news for Listary, though. In fact, I always made the difference between search for content, and just search for file and folder names, never mixed those up. But as incredible as it seems, QuickJump only searches for folder names, not file names, too (when I didn't think the necessary ">" sign in Listary for that was elegant, especially since it's three additional key pressings, shift-< and space).

So this is a completely new situation: The thing so much more expensive just does "a third" of what Listary does. My excuses to Channing, I wasn't keen to manipulate, I just didn't know any better. Thus rectification.

Going into details helps, for not triggering false expectations (here, for QuickJump).

Channing:
Hello evamaria,

Please download the portable version of Listary and try it yourself. No installation needed, and all Pro features are available for free trial (with some nag screens of course), you don't need to pay a single penny.

I'm sorry if Projects doesn't work in the way you expected, but your other judgments about Listary may be incorrect.

the "find as you type" functionality seems to be better implemented in QuickJump
--- End quote ---

Find as you type is a unique feature of Listary that is not available in any other application. It allows you to type the search term directly (without a hotkey) in your favorite file manager. Currently Windows Explorer, open/save file dialogs, XYplorer and xplorer2 are supported. Directory Opus will be supported next week (GPSoftware is kind enough to release a new version to support Listary).

Here is a screenshot of find as you type in XYplorer (open XYplorer, then type web directly)

The "back to previous" functionality can be replicated by macros (storing variables)
--- End quote ---

Sorry that I don't know what this is.

(and Listary's example for "fuzzy search" is horrible, would bring thousands of false hits in real life)
--- End quote ---

In most cases, what you're looking for is ranked top. Google always brings millions if not billions of false hits, but we really don't care because we know only the first few pages are useful.

For my a little bit amateurish comparison between Listary and QuickJump, I have positive news for Listary, though. In fact, I always made the difference between search for content, and just search for file and folder names, never mixed those up. But as incredible as it seems, QuickJump only searches for folder names, not file names, too.
-evamaria (March 15, 2013, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Listary can search all your drives for files and folders by filename within 0.1 second literally (it takes Listary 0.085s to search my 1,200,000 files on 4 harddisks). I believe none of the other applications you mentioned can do this. It seems that you need to add folders to QuickJump manually for indexing.

(when I didn't think the necessary ">" sign in Listary for that was elegant, especially since it's three additional key pressings, shift-< and space).
-evamaria (March 15, 2013, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
1. You only need the leading ">" if you want to search across all drives. Without it Listary will search within your current folder (which is what you need in most situations).
2. The space after ">" is not required.
3. You can change ">" in Listary Options to something like "/" to save the "Shift".

I highly recommend you try Listary yourself. Even if it's not exactly a virtual folder manager you're looking for, I'm sure you'll fall in love with it  :-*

dr_andus:
@Channing: I'm a DOpus user. If I buy a licence at BdJ today, will I get the Listary update with the DOPus support next week?

(I haven't tried Listary yet because I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard with an AutoHotkey script to remap the keys, so I wasn't sure the Win+S key would have worked for me, as I don't have a Win key.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version