ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for a Host OS?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Renegade:
Does anyone know how to create a Windows VM (or anything) in Proxmox VE? The docs are basically non-existant, and the ones that show you how to mount an ISO are way out of date and not applicable to v2.

xtabber:
Does anyone know how to create a Windows VM (or anything) in Proxmox VE? The docs are basically non-existant, and the ones that show you how to mount an ISO are way out of date and not applicable to v2.
-Renegade (March 07, 2013, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
You are making my point more eloquently than I did.

When I say reliable, I don't mean problem free (although that's nice too). I mean that I can rely on what software does, and how it does it. That in turn means adequate documentation, but also maturity and a user base that can be mined for solutions to the inevitable problems.

As for running on bare metal rather than a host operating system, that's asking for trouble, IMHO. Hardware vendors develop drivers for the host OS, not the emulation hardware in the VM. The VM provides drivers for its internal environment, but passes the results to the host, which uses its own drivers to access the real hardware.

If you are a Google or an Amazon, it definitely pays to build your own host environment and optimize it with your own drivers.  For us jes plain folk, relying on what OEMs wrote for Windows, or what the OSS community has developed for Linux, is the smarter way to go.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---
You are making my point more eloquently than I did.
-xtabber (March 08, 2013, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I suppose so. :)

I had glitches with Synergy, but overall, it's running very well once I got over that 1 little hurdle.

For Proxmox VE, I'm guessing that there will be a few things like this.

But with a lot of good software, you do end up with a learning curve or a few hurdles in the beginning. I'm ok with a little bit in this instance as I'm basically trying to run a server style of system for my desktops.

Right now this is just the investigation phase. So, I'm ok with glitches for now. I don't plan on migrating for a little while, and am in no real rush. If I were in a rush, I'd ditch Proxmox VE right now. (Just kind of hoping that 40 chimes in with an answer. hint hint ;) )

40hz:
--- End quote ---

Their channel is here.

Eloquence aside, it's not very difficult IMHO.   ;)

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

Their channel is here.

Eloquence aside, it's not very difficult IMHO.  :)
-40hz (March 08, 2013, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fantastic! Thanks for the link! I'll get on that ASAP.

Some software just has a very different approach, so I sometimes miss things. e.g. I started up an ecommerce site with osCommerce and had a heck of a time figuring out the module system as it was "counter-intuitive" compared to other CMSes that I've used. But, once you "see" how it works, it's simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version