ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for a Host OS?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Renegade:
I just tried installing ProxMox in a VM so I could test it first. I can't seem to figure out how to configure it without having to connect to it via web browser from another PC. That's lame. I want to use the machine I put it on. Not access it from another PC.
-Deozaan (March 06, 2013, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can see why that is. It's meant for data centers, and not home use. You're expected to have other machines running. This isn't really much of a problem for me though.

However, installing a Windows VM inside it is a problem... I'm stuck. I don't see any docs on how to do it, and it won't seem to let me select an ISO file to use. :(

Any hints on how to actually get a VM running in Proxmox VE?

Shades:
VMWare carries a product called ESXi, which sounds (very) similar to ProxMox. If memory serves me right there was a free version of that software. Don't know if there are limitations to be able to use it.

Sorry don't have time right now to put links in this post... :-[

Carol Haynes:
When I looked at ESXi it only seemed to run on certain hardware and had quite specific requirements. I may have misunderstood that though or maybe things have changed now.

40hz:
I haven't had any problems. However, I'm not much of a gamer, nor do I do much with bleeding edge video cards, so I'm in not at all qualified to say when it comes to that.-40hz (March 06, 2013, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you running on the metal? Or installed on an existing OS?

I just tried installing ProxMox in a VM so I could test it first. I can't seem to figure out how to configure it without having to connect to it via web browser from another PC. That's lame. I want to use the machine I put it on. Not access it from another PC.
-Deozaan (March 06, 2013, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hardly lame. It's a Type-1 hypervisor. It's designed to be run on bare metal. And connecting via a remote console is also how you do connect to most (if not all) Type-1 hypervisors. They're intended for use in a 'headless' configuration. ;) 8)

40hz:
VMWare carries a product called ESXi, which sounds (very) similar to ProxMox. If memory serves me right there was a free version of that software. Don't know if there are limitations to be able to use it.
-Shades (March 07, 2013, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know much about ESXi (other than what I've read.), but it provides the same functionalities as Proxmox for all intents and purposes. It's yet another bare metal hypervisor solution.

The Linux Action Show did a segment on it a while back (link here) and there are videos up on YouTube where the Hack5 folks were doing things with an older version if you want to see it in action. The Proxmox site also has some videos.

----------------------

Note: If anybody needs to get up to speed on virtualization or what a type-1 hypervisor is, there are some really good plain-talk presentations by somebody who goes by the name of "Eli the Computer Guy" on YouTube that I often point my more technically curious clients to. His intro to virtualization is here. His intro to Type-1 hypervisors is here. If you're new to this, I think they're worth watching.

----------------------
Addendum:

You can also install on top of X Windows, Debian, and, if memory serves, Windows Server 08r2.
-kyrathaba (March 06, 2013, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oooo...missed that. And yes, supposedly it can be loaded as a guest in a VM environment provided your VM allows for nesting...

Testing Proxmox VE as a VM

Proxmox VE can be installed as a guest on all common used desktop virtualization solutions. But note, KVM will not work in almost all cases - only if your software allows nested virtualization (experimental feature).

OpenVZ containers works well.
--- End quote ---

Note that it's an experimental feature.

Sorry...not for me. Life's too short to get involved in that sort of a science-faire project if you're not a full-time student. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version