ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for a Host OS?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Deozaan:
Proxmox VE.

8)
-40hz (March 06, 2013, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does this cause any problems with hardware drivers like VMs often do? More specifically, will this interfere with my GPU drivers and/or cause my games to run poorly?

I think it would be awesome to do something like this and run Windows 7, Windows XP, and various Linux distros all simultaneously without needing to necessarily have Windows 7 as the host OS to avoid driver problems.

40hz:
Does this cause any problems with hardware drivers like VMs often do? More specifically, will this interfere with my GPU drivers and/or cause my games to run poorly?

-Deozaan (March 06, 2013, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't had any problems. However, I'm not much of a gamer, nor do I do much with bleeding edge video cards, so I'm in not at all qualified to say when it comes to that.

What was suggested to me when I found out about Proxmox was to get a spare drive and install that in the machine I wanted to test Proxmox on. Then disconnect the main drive, install Proxmox on the new drive and go to town. If it didn't work out I could then just reconnect the original drive and be back to where I was with no undue hassles. Since Proxmox can be downloaded and used without having to pay anything, it makes sense to just load it up and play with it to see if you like it.

Like with everything else in the tech world: YMMV.

Sorry. Wish I had a better answer for you. :)

Are there any other Proxmox users here that would know the answer to that?

kyrathaba:
Yeah, definitely leave yourself a hassle-free way to return your system to its pre-Proxmox VE state. Since this virtual environment was designed to make better use of server hardware,  it can be installed on bare hardware (no OS needed). You simply download an ISO image and burn it on a CD or create USB stick, then boot from that media, and start the automatic installer. 8 GB of RAM is good, more is better of course. The quick setup guide is here . You can also install on top of X Windows, Debian, and, if memory serves, Windows Server 08r2. I second 40's suggestion to play with it only on a spare drive.

ewemoa:
Proxmox VE.
-40hz (March 06, 2013, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks quite interesting!

A bit of searching turned it up in the following list -- perhaps there is another alternative there for comparison?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine#Graphical_management_tools

May be the following?

OpenNode - RHEL/CentOS-based open-source server virtualization and management solution with a simple bare-metal installer, providing KVM+OpenVZ host and standard libvirt, func management interfaces together with standard CLI tools like virsh and vzctl.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps "OpenNode" refers to:

http://opennodecloud.com/about/

Deozaan:
I haven't had any problems. However, I'm not much of a gamer, nor do I do much with bleeding edge video cards, so I'm in not at all qualified to say when it comes to that.-40hz (March 06, 2013, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you running on the metal? Or installed on an existing OS?

I just tried installing ProxMox in a VM so I could test it first. I can't seem to figure out how to configure it without having to connect to it via web browser from another PC. That's lame. I want to use the machine I put it on. Not access it from another PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version