ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Personal keylogger

<< < (5/14) > >>

4wd:
Form History Control (Firefox/Pale Moon/etc) - have used for ages.

kalos:
What if I type something in a notepad and crashes?
I still need to save that text.
I basically need to save ALL text I type in a nice archive!
I am eager to test your suggestions, but they need to be universal, where should I start?

IainB:
@kalos: Did you try Text Editor Anywhere as suggested by @rjbull ?
That seemed like it might offer the most comprehensive recovery options overall.
The in-browser text editing recovery tools (Firefox and Chrome) otherwise all seem to be a bit iffy, in my experience.

I'm going to trial Text Editor Anywhere, anyway. Thanks @rjbull !   :Thmbsup:

rjbull:
I'm going to trial Text Editor Anywhere, anyway. Thanks @rjbull !   -IainB (July 12, 2016, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just hope you like it - I've found it very useful, not least because it allows one to use macros, boilerplate text, etc. from your editor of choice. 

<thinks>  I feel a magisterial IainB mini-review coming on...

rjbull:
What if I type something in a notepad and crashes?
I still need to save that text.
-kalos (July 12, 2016, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't matter what system you use: nothing will completely inoculate you against a crash.  Whether you use a 'benign keylogger', or invoke an external editor as I suggested, you can only recover the text they had saved up to the crash point.  You can of course make them save their text more often, thereby reducing losses, but that's at the expense of causing constant disk access as the programs save their files, which will slow your system down somewhat.  And skwire is right about keyloggers.  Even if you are willing to use one, the saved files can be astonishingly messy.  I know because I briefly tried it with the logging facilities in PowerPro, and that even has two modes, with and without 'invisible' keys like Alt+key combinations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version