ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yahoo email servers hacked

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
Yahoo! webmail! hijacks! are! back!...

Yahoo! has blamed cross-site scripting security bugs, which it claims to have squashed, for a recent upsurge in webmail account takeovers.
--- End quote ---

via Daily Network Security Podcast
-erikts (March 11, 2013, 12:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty typical reaction of Yahoo - if they didn't write such god awful buggy webscripts themselves it might make it harder for hackers, and the problem might not go on for months!
-Carol Haynes (March 11, 2013, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

And lets not forget they got hacked and had this same sort of thing happen to them previously too. :-\

erikts:
This time, Yahoo! Japan got hacked.  :o

Yahoo Japan suspects vast ID theft
Data on 22 million users feared stolen, but not passwords

“We don’t know if the file (of 22 million user IDs) was leaked or not, but we can’t deny the possibility, given the volume of traffic between our server and external” terminals, the company said in a statement late Friday.
--- End quote ---

Via Daily Network Security Podcast

pilgrim:
Interesting subject email providers.

ISP's: The majority of my email addresses are with my ISP (same one since 2005), never had a problem with them until I built my new computer last year and started using Opera as my email program.
Within a couple of months every single time I went to send an email through any of the ISP accounts I was directed to a security page where I was asked to fill in a captcha, answer security questions, and then change my password.
After numerous attempts to get the issue resolved I got put in touch with the Chairman's Office and the second person I heard from actually took the matter up although with limited success.
At one point I was told it was because I was connecting from an unrecognised IP address, as I had been using a wide range of VPN's for several years I asked them why, if that had never been a problem in the past it had suddenly become one? In spite of denying any changes being made at their end, a couple of months later the problems disappeared and have thus far not returned.

Yahoo: I have half a dozen Yahoo accounts, 2 - AU, 2 - Uk, 2 - US. The first 4 I am able to forward to my email programs, which I think is probably the reason I have avoided the login problems that a lot of people have had. All my accounts are IMAP/SMTP.

To answer a question asked above about contacting Yahoo, at least in the UK, I found this some time back although I have never used it: Yahoo UK Customer Services - 0800 0289 562.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version