ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yahoo email servers hacked

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dormouse:
Thanks for the headsup Carol.

I checked my account and found it had been accessed from Turkey on Friday. Appears to have tried to spam and then Yahoo blocked it from sending. I've changed password now.

I can't figure out why anyone would use a yahoo or hotmail account anyway,
-Tinman57 (March 04, 2013, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I have it with a Yahoo ID to allow me to manage a Yahoo Group.
I've then used it for an email account when I don't trust the organisations I am giving it to, but may need a continuing address rather than a temporary one. I very rarely look at any of the email in it. So not much lost from my point of view.

But access risks are only just increasing.
And having recently been burgled I'm well aware that having everything local is no panacea either.
Current strategy is having all my eggs in many baskets of many different types with a whole range of encryption strategies for stuff I save in the cloud (and trying not to have anything sensitive in the cloud at all).

40hz:
It's only going to get worse as consumers are pushed to cloud services - hell if you buy a Windows 8 machine most people seem to think that HAVE to sign up for a Windows Live (aka hotmail) account and have their machine permanently linked to Microsoft's servers.

-Carol Haynes (March 05, 2013, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely. >:(

Once again Carol is spot on. :Thmbsup:

Right now I'm dealing with two small companies that have brought in Windows 8. Every single Win 8 installation they've done so far was set up with Windows Live. When I asked them why they did that, they said (as Carol observed) they didn't think they had a choice in the matter. And if Microsoft's app store ever catches on, you really won't have a choice since you'll need to have a Live account to use it.

Sorry. But this really sucks. :down:

wraith808:
It's only going to get worse as consumers are pushed to cloud services - hell if you buy a Windows 8 machine most people seem to think that HAVE to sign up for a Windows Live (aka hotmail) account and have their machine permanently linked to Microsoft's servers.

-Carol Haynes (March 05, 2013, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely. >:(

Once again Carol is spot on. :Thmbsup:

Right now I'm dealing with two small companies that have brought in Windows 8. Every single Win 8 installation they've done so far was set up with Windows Live. When I asked them why they did that, they said (as Carol observed) they didn't think they had a choice in the matter. And if Microsoft's app store ever catches on, you really won't have a choice since you'll need to have a Live account to use it.

Sorry. But this really sucks. :down:
-40hz (March 05, 2013, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's pretty obvious in the setup, IMO.  :huh:

And you can also set up your account with 2-stage authentication that way.

40hz:

It's pretty obvious in the setup, IMO.  :huh:

-wraith808 (March 05, 2013, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. In mine too. But I'm talking about two clients. Not you or me.

So um...maybe I'm missing the point you're making here... :P ;D

wraith808:
Ohhhh!  The point is that clients are stupid.  That's a statement I can get behind!

...unless I'm the client...:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version