ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seriously 'funny' idea - what if DRM was applied to physical objects?

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
Are you confused by the thorny and convoluted logic used by some parties to justify and preach the 'benefits' of DRM? Do you worry you're completely missing something? Or possibly suspect somebody is just trying to put one over on you?

Well, take heart!  :Thmbsup: Sometimes you just have to mentally flip things 180 degrees to get a whole new insight into an issue.

What exactly are the ramifications of single-play and limited-use DRM schemes? A group over at the University of Art and Design in Lausanne Switzerland provided an excellent illustration by creating a chair which you can only sit on eight times before it self-destructs.

Hackaday posted this article which is funny to read - and frightening to think about if the idea ever catches on!

Check out how the: DRM Chair only works 8 times

:huh:

TaoPhoenix:
"Don't Encourage Them!"

app103:
I am never going to look at product recalls quite the same way again. I will always wonder if things like this were just DRM'd.  :huh:

Oh, and nice use of nichrome wire for something other than what I used it for back in 6th grade science class (cutting homework in half).

rgdot:
I have an idea

A piece of code (or any object, anything) that self destructs, if a vendor sells more than 1000 copies then there won't be anything to sell.

:-\

SeraphimLabs:
Um, this chair is a fire hazard.

Notice the smoke?

Yeah, that nichrome is getting too hot while melting the wax, the chair could ignite the flammable wax and cause a far more serious problem than just a DRM'd chair.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version