ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Speech Recognition for Programmers - Tell it what to do

(1/2) > >>

housetier:
Quick! Where is it?

You can download it right hurr.

Uhm... and what is it?

Voice Code is an Open Source initiative (...) to develop tools for programming by voice.
--- End quote ---

So in essence you speak and it writes code!

OK, What's the catch?

I only very recently saw it on slashdot, followed the link to the original article and from there to the voicecode site. I have *not tested* the software, I haven't even downloaded it yet.

Also there are some limitations to the supported programming languages. But this is open source software, I am sure it will catch up very quickly.

kthx, next!

I will try this nice piece of software and see how well it does for me. I find the idea very intriguing.

What are your thoughts? Have you had experience with voice recognition software in general? I 'd like to hear about it...

housetier:
Well I did try to install it, but on the installation manual I saw it needed a software called "Naturally Speaking"; just by the name I could tell it wouldn't be available for linux... The .zip archive of VoiceCode that I downloaded contained a bunch of .exe and one .msi file: hardly, what I call open source.

So it seems I'll be out of the game for a while...

Some things are too nice to be true.

housetier:
still no updates here  :(

Carol Haynes:
The .zip archive of VoiceCode that I downloaded contained a bunch of .exe and one .msi file: hardly, what I call open source.
--- End quote ---

Since when has open source meant cross platform?

housetier:
I am really tempted to ignore such provocative statements, because they usually miss the point. I will make an exception, hoping to clear things up:

no source = not a chance to cross compile
no source = I don't like it
no source = I dont't trust it

Please don't try to nail me with terminology, I will easily wiggle my way out of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version