topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: In Car Gadgets & Doodads  (Read 19774 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In Car Gadgets & Doodads
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Some gadgets that are great for modern car ownership:

Gadgets:

• Dash mounted Tablet
    Voice Control is a must here.  Most tablets will allow you to enter "Car Mode" which does just this.  There are several apps on the market that will help here also, but I have no real recommendations there.

• In Car WiFi
    Now, you can splurge on a 3G/4G router, but the price of them is so high, you may as well just buy a phone that can act as a hotspot and use that instead.

• Dash Cams
    I would suggest one on the front, and one behind.  This means you are totally covered if you ever need to make an insurance claim, or you need to report something you have seen.  They also come in bloody handy if, like they do in Russia, you see something funny, and want to upload it to Youtube :P

• Speed Camera Detector
    If you're heavy footed...these are helpful ;)

• GPS
    Fed up of getting lost?  Buy a GPS...Most modern phones have these as default (Androids, iPhones etc)

• DVD/Media Players
    These are for passengers, obviously.  If you can, I would suggest going to a scrap yard, find some headrests for the front seats, then cut holes in them for the screens so they are flush.  This way, you can put headrest covers over them so nobody can see they are there.  Ya know...security and all that.

Doodads:

• Emergency Supplies
    Always handy to have blankets, first aid kits, tool box and such, in the boot of your car.  Also some long lasting food items (Canned food, along with can opener).  You never know when you are going to break down in the middle of nowhere, and may have to wait hours...or if you are in America, Canada, Russia, Australia, or any country where you can drive for 4 days and not see a single sign of life...

• Fuel Jerry Can
    I do NOT recommend that you travel with one of these, with fuel in them.  It is never a good idea.  but having one in the boot is always handy.

• Bluetooth Car Diagnostics
     Fuel efficiency, check engine trouble codes, real time gauges, horsepower and torque, and more can be checked via this...very handy to have.  Also means, if your check engine light pops up, you will know what has gone wrong, and either resolve it yourself, or be able to advise the garage what it is (Possibly saving time and money).  You can pick these up for around £50-60 so they are well worth their money.

• Tyre PSI Checker
    You can pick these up for like £5, and they show you, on a digital readout, what PSI your tyres are at.  I got one of these free at Chester Zoo, because the AA where there with a car sim, and if you could prove you can drive "ecologically" using their sim, they gave you one.  I managed to convince the lady to give me 4 of them and gave the other 3 away to family :P

• Portable Jump Start Kit
    Rather than having Jump leads, why not have the full kit, which will jump start your car if your battery dies!

• Rear Parking Sensors
    Now, I don't mean the type that sense if you are too close to something behind you.  What I mean here, is a little doodad, that sticks to your reverse light, senses when it is on, and politely beeps to tell people you are going backwards.  I don't have one of these myself, because, I go on the basis "If you can't fcuking SEE I am going backwards, why the hell are you walking in the middle of the road"...Although, that being said, I think I might get one, because I just remembered some people are ACTUALLY blind.

Anybody fancy adding to this list?  :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: In Car Gadgets & Doodads
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Since radar detectors are illegal in some places, why not a radar jammer? :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11 PM »

There are legal "loopholes" here.  One of the ways I suggest people could get around this, is to use map info (Most maps plot where all speed cameras are) and input this into sat-navs.  It's by no means perfect, but...I don't see how that could be illegal.  And yes, that doesn't help with random cop patrols.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35 PM »

In the U.S., Jammers are outlawed federally.  The law was written saying anything that interferes with traffic radar is against the law.  It's also written that anything that transmits any kind of radar energy must be licensed.
  With this being said, Rocky Mountain Radar sells a "Passive" radar Jammer.  The only reason the law don't come down on them is because their passive jammers actually INCREASES the distance at which a traffic radar can lock on.  The cops love this feature.
  Now with that being said, why in the hell doesn't the U.S. government tag them for ripping off people and false advertising?  Perhaps it's the tax money they make from each sale???

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04 PM »
  In the U.S., Jammers are outlawed federally. 

I know. That was just tongue in cheek. But still, it would be cool to have jammers if for no other reason than just to fart with the fuzz. :D

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59 PM »
A 2-5 ton portable hydraulic jack is nice to have.
I don't see too many flat tires any more though.
It takes a bit of room in the trunk (boot) but worth it if you need it.
Mine is in a handy case that weighs about 25lbs or so...had it a long time, don't remember the specs.
The factory jacks that come with most cars are an annoyance to use.
I've used it once for my truck and once for my son's car.
They can be found easy enough, parts stores, walmart, etc.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04 PM »
A 2-5 ton portable hydraulic jack is nice to have.
I don't see too many flat tires any more though.
It takes a bit of room in the trunk (boot) but worth it if you need it.
Mine is in a handy case that weighs about 25lbs or so...had it a long time, don't remember the specs.
The factory jacks that come with most cars are an annoyance to use.
I've used it once for my truck and once for my son's car.
They can be found easy enough, parts stores, walmart, etc.

Don't most cars come with a wind up jack thing in the boot anyway?  I know every car we have had for the past 20 years has had them in the spare wheel compartment, or in the boot (trunk).

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Either a wind-up or some other contraption.
The hydraulic floor jack is easier to use and safer imo.
Just slide it under the car and put the handle on it.
A few pumps and it's up.
Mine looks similar to this one,
but lower to the ground for getting in between the car and the ground.

oops, wrong pic
the first pic is similar to my case
the second is similar to my jack

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:16 PM by cmpm »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:25 PM »
More like this one here is the one i have

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41 PM »
Yep, it's a scissor jack in my car.
I could use the lug-nut wrench, but I have a 4 way tire wrench.
Makes it easy to get the lug-nuts off.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:45 PM »
I'll add on a few 'lighter' items.
Matches, a lighter and a flashlight.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45 AM »
heated seats are the bomb!   :D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Here are 3 things I bought for my husband as gifts over the years, that he never thought he needed but ended up not wanting to leave home without:

• A spotlight - handy for seeing street signs and house numbers on unlit roads at night.
  • An air compressor - handy for inflating a tire.
  • A power inverter - handy for running AC devices off your car's battery. Keep your car running whenever you use this, unless you like a dead battery. There are ones available with a higher wattage output than the one I linked to, including ones you could run a coffee maker or my 700W microwave oven with. Just consider what you might want to run with it before buying one.

That power inverter may have ended up saving a friend's life, when he lost power during a storm and needed electricity to run his nebulizer. If it wasn't for my husband showing up at his house, he might not have been able to breathe. The friend went out and bought his own, right after that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 06:13 AM »
Jackall Farm Jack - Rated at 3.6 tonnes, (mine can jack up to 4 foot), can be used as a winch, (which is fun), firewood splitter, fence post puller, floor board cramp, window bar spreader, lifting the house to change a stump, etc, etc.

The true jack for all trades

jackaLL2l.jpgIn Car Gadgets & Doodads

Made in Canada....feel proud Renegade   :Thmbsup:

A couple more things kept in the 4x4:
Esbit Solid Fuel Stove
Pocket Chainsaw
And bolted on is the Shower :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:40 AM by 4wd »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34 AM »
4wd, here in farm country (western Kansas) we call them "widow makers", because they can be quite dangerous.  Also one of the first companies to make them was HiLift hence they are also known as a HiLift jack.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I've found the Garmin GPS my GF picked up to be quite handy. And our car came with Sync so we have hands-free use of a lot of what's on our respective smartphones. Sync works pretty well most of the time. That's about all the 'convenience' gadgetry we have or want in our car.

The rest of our kit is pretty low tech: basic set of tools plus a socket wrench set, first aid kit, a handful of paper road maps, flashlights, an antique walki-talki that can also do the CB band, roll of paper towels, small bottle of spray window cleaner, a couple of reflective mylar "space blankets," some homebrew battery "booster boxes" for recharging our phones in an emergency, some basic survival stuff such as: firestarters, waterproof matches, road flares, work gloves, etc. About the only thing a little unusual is our first aid kit - which is pretty seriously tricked out and also includes some veterinary supplies. (We used to do a lot of horseback riding with friends and got in the habit. Those who have done the same will understand. :mrgreen:)

I keep meaning to get a power inverter. And after reading App's comment above, I will finally stop procrastinating and order one this weekend. I've only been talking about doing it for something like ten years. Enough already! ;D

8)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 02:15 PM »
4wd, here in farm country (western Kansas) we call them "widow makers", because they can be quite dangerous.  Also one of the first companies to make them was HiLift hence they are also known as a HiLift jack.

We also call them Hi-Lift jacks, I was just pointing out the one I have which has a higher capacity than the "real" Hi-Lift Jack.

As for dangerous, extremely if you you don't take proper precautions....but that's what makes them so interesting  :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Jackall Farm Jack - Rated at 3.6 tonnes, (mine can jack up to 4 foot), can be used as a winch, (which is fun), firewood splitter, fence post puller, floor board cramp, window bar spreader, lifting the house to change a stump, etc, etc.

The true jack for all trades
 (see attachment in previous post)

That's a tractor jack, I've got one for my tractor....

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32 PM »
[/url]
And bolted on is the [url=http://www.glind.com.au]Shower

That Glind shower sounds nice!

Didn't there used to be similar products that would heat your washer fluid in cold weather climes?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 08:43 PM »
And bolted on is the Shower

That Glind shower sounds nice!

It is - nothing beats pulling up next to the river, throwing the hose in and getting temperature adjustable hot water after 6-8 hours of four wheel driving.

One of life's little luxuries :mrgreen:

Mind you, they seem to have more than doubled in price - I got the whole lot, (exchanger/pump/shower head/hose), for less than the current price of the exchanger.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:49 PM by 4wd »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 04:33 AM »
Oh... a MUST have for your car - wheel spinner knob:

You can see examples here:

http://www.ebay.com/...-Knobs-/74723/i.html
http://compare.ebay....lFixedPriceItemTypes

4210000011346037590_image.jpgIn Car Gadgets & Doodads

They make sharp turns fast & almost instant.

If you don't have one... GET one! It might take a little bit to get used to, but you will LOVE it!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04 AM »
I always thought those "suicide knobs" were illegal.  Something about moonshiners using them to do be able to do trick turns and evade the authorities.  The local after-market dealer had a box of them on the counter and a friend of mine asked about it.  The guy at the counter said "because you got a tractor... right?"  ;)

Apparently, they aren't as illegal as some would have me believe, and are even required in some states if you have a disability.  See here:
http://www.suicidekn....net/state_laws.html

...Except in my home state of Washington, where it's a "possible violation"  >:(

I would also add to the list one of these doodads that plug into the cigarette lighter and transmits whatever's plugged into it to your FM radio:
http://www.amazon.co...&rnid=2885686011
Handy if your car stereo still sports a cassette deck...  :-[
NGcUN.jpgIn Car Gadgets & Doodads
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:57 PM by Edvard »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Oh... a MUST have for your car - wheel spinner knob:
They make sharp turns fast & almost instant.

If you don't have one... GET one! It might take a little bit to get used to, but you will LOVE it!
I have something like this on my tractor.
I don't do a lot of high-speed turns on that (it tends to tear up the yard a bit when there's no ice around  ;)) but the spinner facilitates reversing trailers into tight spots.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I always thought those "suicide knobs" were illegal.  S

they were outlawed in Kansas years ago.  But they served a purpose before power steering became popular.  I noticed your picture even had the button that you could press to lower the know so that you couldn't use it.  I think everyone has had the knob slam into their hand on the rebound.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Couldn't find anything in the Kansas laws against them, but then again, tl;dr:
http://kslegislature...08_000_0000_chapter/