topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Capture portion of screen and print  (Read 4841 times)

sanjo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Capture portion of screen and print
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Greetings.  I just downloaded Screen Shot and what a lot of functions it has. I will be studying it for a good while, but right now I need to know how to "grab" a portion of a screen and print that portion.  It is probably the simplist of all its functions, but I have yet to figure it out.

thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Capture portion of screen and print
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42 PM »
By default, you can use shift+prtscr to capture a portion of the screen.

Then if you have Screenshot Captor set up with default settings you'll see a pop-up dialog where you can choose print.

Or you can change SC options to autoprint after every capture and stay minimized.

You can also see options for adding captions to your print jobs, and doing more stuff -- but try first thing first and let us know if you have any trouble.

sanjo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06 AM »
thanks for responding.  I must have things wrong. When I hit Shift+ PrtSc nothing happens.  I was expecting that when I needed to copy some portion of a screen I could hit PrtSc and the Main Window would be superimposed over the screen.  Then I would have all the options to choose from going around the edge of the screen.  I will have to reinstall and look harder for the settings.\

thanks]

Sanjo

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:15 AM »
This may be a silly question, but did you RUN the program after installing it? Can you bring up the main Screenshot Captor window? No point trying to figure out why shift+PrtScr isn't working unless we're sure the program is first running.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31 PM »
A minor question I've been meaning to ask for a while - possibly related so I'll ask here:

How come the installer doesnt lauch (or give the option to launch) SC after install any more? (I think it's the same now with your other apps too). I've gotten used to it, but AFAIK it's not the norm and was wondering if there's a reason for it.
Tom

sanjo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11 PM »
thanks everyone. I had it installed, but had not (until now) figured out how to crop  or isolated only a portion of the screen that I wanted to print. Now I also understand how to superimpose the entire software over the image I want to print.  Thanks again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23 PM »
How come the installer doesnt lauch (or give the option to launch) SC after install any more? (I think it's the same now with your other apps too). I've gotten used to it, but AFAIK it's not the norm and was wondering if there's a reason for it.

it does if you install on a version of windows prior to vista;  after vista i got cold feet about having the program run after installation because i wasnt sure if there were cases where it would be running as the "wrong" user -- i.e. as administrator instead of normal user account. i should probably go research what the "accepted" policy about this is..

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41 AM »
it does if you install on a version of windows prior to vista;  after vista i got cold feet about having the program run after installation because i wasnt sure if there were cases where it would be running as the "wrong" user -- i.e. as administrator instead of normal user account. i should probably go research what the "accepted" policy about this is..
We've talked about this subject before, and the generally accepted practice is (my extract from the Inno Setup newsgroups) to offer the optional execution of the application after the installer has finished. Even when on Windows Vista and later. Users hardly ever start a setup using 'Run as Administrator' and those who do usually know what they are doing, so the chance of SSC being run as an administrator is fairly small. And not a big security risk, imho.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 03:21 AM »
thanks everyone. I had it installed, but had not (until now) figured out how to crop  or isolated only a portion of the screen that I wanted to print. Now I also understand how to superimpose the entire software over the image I want to print.  Thanks again.

have you seen the Screenshot Captor videos sanjo?

Here's one about the different capture modes:
https://www.donation.../dc/3ds/sc2/sc2.html

and here's all of them:
https://www.donation....com/screencasts/sc/
Tom