ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PayPal users are frauds :-(

<< < (5/6) > >>

kyrathaba:
It's in the rules of all credit cards (that I know of) that you can hold up any payment for a certain amount of time in order to settle any dispute.
--- End quote ---

Yes, by law in all fifty states. Not sure if there are international variations.

wraith808:
As a seller or buyer one should not let paypal have direct access to your bank account.
-cmpm (February 25, 2013, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to.  It takes a while before the funds to become available for you to transfer.  At any given time if you're selling anything but one-off's through there, you'll have a the minimum a few days worth of funds tied up with them, even if you're conscientious about transferring as soon as able.  The more likely scenario is having a week's worth.  

So take a week's worth of sales tied up for months.  That's enough to kill a lot of small businesses.

cmpm:
Yes, I know wraith, I had to be prepared for extended periods of time with no income or work. Sometimes I was and sometimes I was not. Or to spend the time and money preparing and getting to a job, only to be turned down due to a customer's whim or weather or some other reason. Or doing a large job that takes a couple of weeks and to wait, minimum, 30 days for payment. Here in the usa, the best advertisement is by way of the yellow pages, (for my type of work) and they know it, very expensive. Word of mouth happened a lot, but the phone rang more via the yellow pages.

edit- and yeah I got burned on a few jobs for a substantial amount of money, not many times but enough to demand cash in advance from certain types of corporations, or avoid them completely

wraith808:
Yes, I know wraith, I had to be prepared for extended periods of time with no income or work. Sometimes I was and sometimes I was not. Or to spend the time and money preparing and getting to a job, only to be turned down due to a customer's whim or weather or some other reason. Or doing a large job that takes a couple of weeks and to wait, minimum, 30 days for payment. Here in the usa, the best advertisement is by way of the yellow pages, (for my type of work) and they know it, very expensive. Word of mouth happened a lot, but the phone rang more via the yellow pages.

edit- and yeah I got burned on a few jobs for a substantial amount of money, not many times but enough to demand cash in advance from certain types of corporations, or avoid them completely
-cmpm (February 26, 2013, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's different when it's something to do with getting payment, vs retrieving your payments from the service.  And it's different when it's unreasonable.  I had a situation where I was contracting with a large firm, and they said it was to take 30 days to get paid from the time I submitted my first invoice.  I normally had 60 days set aside, but set aside 4 months.  I didn't get paid for 6 months.  The difference between not being prepared and unreasonable.  That's not a normal cost of business when you are working and accruing, but not getting the money that was accrued, especially when you have overhead.

In the end, each business has to see what the acceptable risks are.  And for more and more people, Paypal is becoming not an acceptable risk.  And you can't blame them for saying that, if its their choice- just pay as they will accept, or take your business elsewhere.  Would I go back to that company?  If I were still in their system... yes.  If not... no.  If a company can't pay me in 6 months, yeah, I avoid them completely.

cmpm:
If paypal didn't pay me like they should, I would quit them too.
It would be like giving them your work or money with no return.

i guess my point was the edit in my other post
took the long scenic route :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version