topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: feature request: zoom buttons (+, -) - not urgent  (Read 3634 times)

aparente001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
feature request: zoom buttons (+, -) - not urgent
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:59 AM »
In general, the more you can make using the software feel like other software people tend to use often, such as MS Word, foxit, firefox, and the simpler screenshot capture programs, the easier it will be for new users to start to get the hang of the Captor.  As they get comfortable, they will want to delve deeper to learn more sophisticated options.  Example: zoom.  In Word, Excel and foxit, there is a simple plus and minus at the bottom right for getting bigger and smaller.  In Captor, I need a + and a -.  They don't have to be at the bottom right.  Thank you.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: feature request: zoom buttons (+, -) - not urgent
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:40 AM »
not in any way against this idea, but a "just-in-case" post -
have you noticed on the right-side, along the vertical toolbar, there is a slider to increase/reduce size?

Screenshot - 2013-02-25 , 16_27_06.pngfeature request: zoom buttons (+, -) - not urgent

I used SC for a couple of years before I noticed it (it's very discreet over there :) - btw I notice the % symbol is cropped there mouser)

I hope you dont mind me posting this below in your request thread aparente - it is related to the 'zoom' topic:
-
The way I most commonly zoom is Ctrl+MouseWheel. It's very easy and intuitive - as used in browser or PDF viewer (less commonly I use Ctrl++/Ctrl+-).
In SC, if the image is smaller than the viewing area, it will zoom with Ctrl+MouseWheel. Once the image is slightly larger than the viewing area, Ctrl+MouseWheel will scroll.
This seems like a bug to me (?)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47 AM »
As tomos says, the quick zoom bar should be a better solution than zoom in and zoom out buttons, i hope.

But the mouse wheel is the quickest way to zoom.

And mouse wheel alone should zoom in main SC window, regardless of size of image in relation to viewing area.. maybe an issue with new versions of windows that I'm not seeing? What OS do you have Tomos?

Also note at top are quick labels you can click for AutoFit, 50%, 100%, 200%, and more.

aparente001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:31 PM »
The 50%, etc., were the things I noticed first, and that's where I wanted the + and - to be.  Glad to know about the slider.

I do think that in general, if you follow conventions, it will be easier for people to pick up your software.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:44 AM »
mouse wheel alone should zoom in main SC window, regardless of size of image in relation to viewing area.. maybe an issue with new versions of windows that I'm not seeing? What OS do you have Tomos?

Ahh, I had presumed it needed Ctrl pressed !

mouser, this is one I've meant to report for a long time:
I have the same issue with just the mouse wheel:
image zooms till it is slightly larger than the window, then the wheel just scrolls it the couple of pixels up or down (or right/left depending on shape of image).
OS is Windows 7 pro 64bit

(Note, I see it works properly on Windows 8 64bit)
Tom