ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Earth. Overpopulated or not?

(1/4) > >>

Deozaan:
Were I an arguing man, I'd say sucking a cigarette does more to serve an overpopulated planet than potentially contributing further to the gene pool
--- End quote ---

This planet isn't overpopulated. You could fit the entire world's population in the state of Utah and still not have the population density of New York City. While Utah may not be the most desirable place to live, the point is that there is plenty of room on this planet for more people.

Comment by brotherS: this is a split post, coming from https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3403 and being very off-topic there :)

brotherS:
This planet isn't overpopulated. You could fit the entire world's population in the state of Utah and still not have the population density of New York City. While Utah may not be the most desirable place to live, the point is that there is plenty of room on this planet for more people.
-Deozaan (April 27, 2006, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Since you didn't use a smiley I take it you don't mean that as a joke? Sure, you can pile people up like in New York, but there are plenty of other problems to consider. Just google "war over water" - and that's just the start.

Carol Haynes:
Er ... if the entire planet was populated to the density of New York where would you grow food?

What we have to remember is that cities aren't natural places to live - the countryside is. In the UK we are running out of countryside at a huge rate as it is covered in concrete for roads and new houses.

The other thing you need to consider is that there are huge tracts of land on the planet that are either incapable of supporting human life on a large scale (eg. most of Australia, most of Brazil, the Arctic) or else no one wants to live there (eg. Utah - just kidding)

brotherS:
Er ... if the entire planet was populated to the density of New York where would you grow food?
-Carol Haynes (April 27, 2006, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Soylent Green? :-\

Deozaan:
Er ... if the entire planet was populated to the density of New York where would you grow food?-Carol Haynes (April 27, 2006, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

If the entire planet was in an area the size of little 'ol Utah, there would be plenty of room to grow food.

I don't think everyone should up and move to a Utah sized area. Obviously that isn't going to happen. Nor do I think that the world will suddenly (to use a cliché) multiply like rabbits and fill up to the point of every habitable area being as dense as Ney York City. The point was that we could all live in such a small area and still be more comfortable than the millions of people currently residing in New York City, which means there is plenty of room for people to spread out in this very underpopulated (or, if you prefer, not-even-close-to-being-overpopulated) world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version