ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

<< < (10/33) > >>

Renegade:
On fuel efficiency, it is illegal to produce fuel efficient cars for the US market. I'm not sure what the penalties are though.

Here's an article on the topic:

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/05/is-us-government-deliberately.html

And from the VW US site:

In miles per gallon, it's 22~32.

Now for the UK VW site:

35 to 74.

So, the same car you get in Europe is roughly twice as fuel efficient. Or a heck of a lot more efficient anyways.

Carol Haynes:
And then they wonder why Kyoto failed!  :-[

If it isn't a stupid question why aren't there riots in the street over this?

Actually there is a simple solution for the US government - put up fuel taxes (like they have done in most of the developed world) so that if you drive efficient cars the overall tax take is the same. In the short term they would make a huge windfall - in the long term people would buy fuel efficient cars -  everyone wins!

Renegade:
If it isn't a stupid question why aren't there riots in the street over this?
-Carol Haynes (March 01, 2013, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just for funUmmm...

Who did you have in mind for the riots? ;)

techidave:
Guys, maybe I am not looking at the fuel consumption properly but a liter and a gallon are not equal.  1 gallon=3.7541 liters.  But I cannot get get my head wrapped around the mpg differences shown in Carol's VW comparisons.

but then again, maybe it ain't worth the energy!

tomos:
Ren, you forgot:
Note: The Imperial gallon is larger than the U.S. gallon, so when calculating mpg the conversion is 70 mpg Imperial = 58.28 U.S. (source)-your link
--- End quote ---
but
still a big difference there!

This was discussed here before though - my response at the time is still valid:

If he knows the engine is made in US but not allowed in the US, it does look like there's something funny going on.

This autocar.co.uk review gives it 800miles to a 70 litre fill which works out at 43 m.p.g. if my maths is correct.

I actually came across this last week somewhere, and just found it again:
Couple [in the US] gets 84 mpg in Passat diesel on real roads
I think this article is mainly about the fact that if you drive about 55 mph you can save up to 23% fuel. Also here. They do use a different model (6 gears) - but the second link says that the previous record was by the model the guy in the video was talking about...
-tomos (May 25, 2012, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

so this VW example is not proof of anything...

Actually there is a simple solution for the US government - put up fuel taxes (like they have done in most of the developed world) so that if you drive efficient cars the overall tax take is the same. In the short term they would make a huge windfall - in the long term people would buy fuel efficient cars -  everyone wins!
-Carol Haynes (March 01, 2013, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

that'd be like putting up taxes on beer in Germany - then there'd by a riot.
I think it's a cultural thing, in every country there is some-thing that the people wont accept, that will push them over the edge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version