ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

<< < (11/33) > >>

Renegade:
@Tomos - Ooops. Yeah. Got lazy there. But it doesn't make much of a difference. Well, a 17% difference. :D But the point is that fuel efficiency is against the law in the US. :P

BTW - Looks like the Canadian version blows compared to the UK model.

http://www.vw.ca/en/models/passat_2013/features-specs.s9_trimlevel_detail.suffix.html/passat~2Ftrendline.html#/tab=04a8296c1b6c9f6ab08c97063c51cb6c

that'd be like putting up taxes on beer in Germany - then there'd by a riot.
I think it's a cultural thing, in every country there is some-thing that the people wont accept, that will push them over the edge.
-tomos (March 01, 2013, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I remember a few years ago they tried to push up taxes on soju in Korea... They just about had a revolt! :D Seriously. People everywhere had buttons on their coats/shirts. Signs everywhere. Massive protests. The tagline was (IIRC):

소주는 우리 민주의 술!

Soju is the people's drink! (rough translation as it doesn't translate elegantly)

tomos:
[...] the point is that fuel efficiency is against the law in the US. :P-Renegade (March 01, 2013, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

the unproven point - I refer you to my quote in my previous post, where a couple in the US get 84mpg with a Passat.
Let's just drop this - it's completely off-topic...

40hz:
If I lived/worked in a city with decent public transport I would just hire a car when I needed to - a lot cheaper - and use public transport.-Carol Haynes (March 01, 2013, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 :Thmbsup: That's the most cost effective solution I've ever experienced. When I lived in Boston I neither needed to own - or wanted to own - my own car. Their public transportation network was extensive, reliable, and affordable. For everything else, there was always Avis or Thrifty rent-a-car when you needed your own set of wheels. It was liberating!

Unfortunately in the area I live public transport is completely impractical unless you are retired or not working and able to plan your day around the infrequent buses.

--- End quote ---

At least you still have them in a pinch. There is virtually no local public transportation where I currently live. We did have buses at one time. But most of the routes in my area have been eliminated for cost cutting reasons. And those that survived have had their schedules seriously reduced. Nearest bus stop to my front door is just over two miles away. And that bus doesn't go anywhere I'd likely need to go. My town does have a taxi service of sorts. But it's a small (as in 4 vehicle) operation. Interestingly enough, it seems to adequately cover a population of 59K according to the last federal census. Which kind of gives you an idea of just how many people here own and drive cars - and why the bus lines have mostly disappeared.

Oh well. At least the town provides free senior and disabled person transportation to medical, recreation, and shopping spots. You have to call a day in advance to schedule a ride, but they do provide door-to-door service and are very accommodating when it comes to people with disabilities or age related infirmities. Nice to know some of our local tax money is being spent on a service that's needed - and actually gets used.
 ;)

Tinman57:
Soju is the people's drink! (rough translation as it doesn't translate elegantly) -Renegade (March 01, 2013, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Soju is some extremely strong stuff that shouldn't be drank alone, but mixed.  My first experience with Soju in Korea was the WORST hangover I've EVER had in my LIFE!  I puked and excreted green for 3 days.   :o

Renegade:
Soju is the people's drink! (rough translation as it doesn't translate elegantly) -Renegade (March 01, 2013, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Soju is some extremely strong stuff that shouldn't be drank alone, but mixed.  My first experience with Soju in Korea was the WORST hangover I've EVER had in my LIFE!  I puked and excreted green for 3 days.   :o
-Tinman57 (March 01, 2013, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~! ;D Funny thing is it isn't really all that strong, but it's deceptive as hell! It's generally around 20%, but doesn't taste all that strong, making it much easier to pound back than something like tequila. It's even worse when you go out with all the guys... Koreans pound it back incredibly fast. I quit drinking it and limited myself to 1 and only 1 cup after having been decimated by it more than once. (Took me a while to learn my lesson there! :) )

And yeah, it makes a much better mixer! :) The current rage now is soju mixed with drinking vinegar, which only makes it easier to drink faster! :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version