ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More speed/bandwidth from an 802.11n laptop<-->WiFi Router/Modem connection?

<< < (12/13) > >>

4wd:
FWIW I've never seen NIC teaming done on the PC level. From my experience it's purely a "server thing." 8)
-40hz (November 05, 2014, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Forgot about Teaming, this was actually pretty common 4-7 years ago on nVidia based high-end motherboards, aimed at gamers who wanted the lowest lag they could get at LAN nights, or game/media sever, etc.

We had two people at our LAN group who used it, one a nForce4 MB, the other a nVidia 790i based MB, (IIRC).  Two 1Gb ports that could be teamed.

Sorry, I was originally talking more about when you inadvertently make two connections to the same network, (still happens at our LAN night).

40hz:
^I wasn't aware that bridging or teaming could reduce lag (ping?) time for gaming. I was always under the impression it couldn't. But then again the game server and client machines in this scenario are within the LAN and not accessing the WAN so I suppose (under certain conditions) it might be possible.... but I'd want to try using a smarter network switch before I went that route.

But still...guess you learn something new every day!  :) :Thmbsup:

40hz:
It just does so automagically
-Stoic Joker (November 05, 2014, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! And that's the beauty of it. ;D

4wd:
^I wasn't aware that bridging or teaming could reduce lag (ping?) time for gaming. I was always under the impression it couldn't. But then again the game server and client machines in this scenario are within the LAN and not accessing the WAN so I suppose (under certain conditions) it might be possible.... but I'd want to try using a smarter network switch before I went that route.-40hz (November 05, 2014, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

We couldn't afford smart network switches back then  ;D

Seemed to work though, less lag was noticeable when the guys who were running the game server had teaming enabled ... or maybe we were all plastered by then and it didn't seem to matter  ;D

Stoic Joker:
^Okay, so if the game/media server is servicing a high enough number of clients then it would start to lag the connections (pings included) as a single NIC reached its max. So teaming in the second (etc.) NIC would spread the load/love around enough to get it off its knees.

Makes sense to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version