ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More speed/bandwidth from an 802.11n laptop<-->WiFi Router/Modem connection?

(1/13) > >>

IainB:
I have set up someone's TP-Link TD-8950ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router.
It all seems to be running fine, except that the laptop I am using is only making 30-58mbps connections (rated as being "Good" to "Excellent", respectively). This is currently with just the 1 laptop connected to the network.
The complex screenshot below should explain all. (Thankyou @Mouser/Screenshot Captor.)

What I am wanting to figure out is how I can get the laptop performance to be (say) 100mbps or more.

The TP-Link router/modem seems to have the latest firmware (I checked):

* Firmware Version: 1.2.6 build 101206 Rel.68715n
* Hardware Version: W8950ND vi 00000001
The Broadcom WiFi device has the latest driver version (I checked).

I suspect the problem may be to do with a lack of draft-n standardisation:

* On the cardboard box the TP-Link device came in, it says it is "Wireless Lite N".
* The Broadcom WiFi device driver says it is "802.11 a/b/g/draft-n"
Any ideas please?    :tellme:

More speed/bandwidth from an 802.11n laptop<-->WiFi Router/Modem connection?

rgdot:
I think you will end up with 'advertised speeds are theoretical' no matter what you try.

4wd:
^What he said plus you've said nothing about the environment you're trying to operate in.

ie.
How far from router?
Other close electrical apparatus, (especially stuff operating in the 2.4GHz area)?
What obstructions, (walls, etc), and construction?
Are the antennas polarised in the same direction?
Did you have your fingers crossed as a meteor flew overhead, etc, etc, etc.

You should be able to get more than that but it can come down to something simple like the devices don't like each other, which is a PITA trying to determine when they individually work OK with other devices.

rgdot:
Of course 4wd is right. Closer to router, less walls in between, wireless chipset (latest firmware or otherwise) .... whole spectrum of things affect wireless speeds.

40hz:
^+1 with all of the above.

One thing you might try is disabling IPv6 support on all your devices if you're not using it. (Most people aren't.) In some rare cases you'll get a slight performance boost since it's one less thing your hardware has to pay attention to. Hardly worth it IMO unless IPv6 is actually causing problems on your network - which I doubt it is - but that's about all I can suggest.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version