ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How-to on taking ownership of your new UEFI equipped PC

<< < (3/4) > >>

Curt:
While UEFI+SB might be a requirement to get the "designed for windows 8" certification, Win8 works just perfectly without SecureBoot, and it doesn't need UEFI either, works fine with BIOS booting.-f0dder (February 18, 2013, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

-thanks for telling, f0dder.
I have Windows 8 Pro, but has not installed it because the Microsoft Upgrade Adviser said No!

f0dder:
I have Windows 8 Pro, but has not installed it because the Microsoft Upgrade Adviser said No!-Curt (February 18, 2013, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting - it's the smoothest Windows experience I've had so far, and should run better than XP (at least the bloated SP3 pig) even on old hardware :)

Curt:
I have Windows 8 Pro, but has not installed it because the Microsoft Upgrade Adviser said No!-Curt (February 18, 2013, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting - -f0dder (February 18, 2013, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I was of course exaggerating. The adviser said that because my machine doesn't have this and that technique, upgrading would make me miss this and that feature, merely.

---------------
re-edit: re-reading the advice, I (again) think it said No. The lack of "NX" is vital, isn't it?
---------------

click thumbs to enlarge:

My advices in Danish:

Look at the Pro's new Danish price: kr 2000 = $333  :o  
I am pleased that I took the introduction offer just in time!

f0dder:
re-edit: [/color]re-reading the advice, I (again) think it said No. The lack of "NX" is vital, isn't it?-Curt (February 19, 2013, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmm, which CPU do you have? It has to be of almost archeological quality to not support NX (the ability to mark memory, in page-sized (4k) regions, as "not executable" - a security feature that was added ages ago).

You might have disabled NX support in your BIOS, though. (And some really lame, especially laptop, BIOSes turn NX-support off without offering you a way to enable it, even though the CPU is capable. One has to wonder, sometimes ::) ).

Edvard:
From the blog of Jim Bottomley comes a mostly complete step-by-step on pwning your own UEFI PC:-40Hz
--- End quote ---

Bookmarked.  :Thmbsup:

some really lame, especially laptop, BIOSes turn NX-support off without offering you a way to enable it, even though the CPU is capable. One has to wonder, sometimes-f0dder
--- End quote ---

My single-core 64-bit is nx-capable, but I can find NOWHERE in the BIOS how to enable it.  Wonder, indeed.
From lshw:
*-cpu:0
          description: CPU
          product: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
          physical id: 3
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
          slot: Socket 939
          size: 1800MHz
          capacity: 3700MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 200MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm cpufreq

--- End quote ---

:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version