ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How-to on taking ownership of your new UEFI equipped PC

(1/4) > >>

40hz:
From the blog of Jim Bottomley comes a mostly complete step-by-step on pwning your own UEFI PC:

Owning your Windows 8 UEFI Platform
Posted on 15 February 2013 by jejb   

Even if you only ever plan to run Windows or stock distributions of Linux that already have secure boot support, I’d encourage everybody who has a new UEFI secure boot platform to take ownership of it.  The way you do this is by installing your own Platform Key.  Once you have done this, you can use key database maintenance tools like keytool to edit all the keys on the Platform and move the platform programmatically from Setup Mode to User Mode and back again.  This blog post describes how you go about doing this.

<more>
--- End quote ---

Read full article here.

Warning: It's not exactly a simple or intuitive process,
 8)

f0dder:
Warning: It's not exactly a simple or intuitive process,
 8)-40hz (February 16, 2013, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seems reasonably straightforward to me.

Not end-user-simple, but the steps are pretty logical?

Curt:
Owning your Windows 8 UEFI Platform

Even if you only ever plan to run Windows or stock distributions of Linux that already have secure boot support, I’d encourage everybody who has a new UEFI secure boot platform to take ownership of it.
--- End quote ---
-40hz (February 16, 2013, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
 :-[
Most of the time English is understandable to me, but not always. The sentence "Even if you only ever plan to run Windows" (etcetera), may be straight forward to you, but it surely isn't straight nor forward to me. Is he trying to say something similar to "if you run Windows 8, take ownership of the boot section"?
 :tellme:

40hz:
@Curt- he's recommending you always take ownership.

tomos:
Turning it around makes it a little easier:

I’d encourage everybody who has a new UEFI secure boot platform to take ownership of it, even if you only ever plan to run Windows, or stock distributions of Linux (that already have secure boot support).

but it doesnt win any prizes for accessibility :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version