ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CyberGhost VPN.

(1/3) > >>

IainB:
CyberGhost VPN Special Deal (worth a look).
In reviews of VPN providers, CyberGhost comes out with a pretty good report.
They had a FREE sort of trial option that wasn't too bad at all, despite its constraints - bandwidth caps.
Now their business model seems to have been revamped along with their network, and they have the FREE option now with no cap, but I think it must be throttled. In addition, the annual tariff plan has been reduced as a limited time special offer. The tariff plans apparently give you a faster response time.

This is a clip from: Welcome to the new CyberGhost VPN
...We changed the tariff plan, so it’s easier for you to understand and decide for one of the two types of paid subscriptions: Premium and Premium Plus. Currently, our free service covers the basic needs, making a Classic subscription unnecessary.

To celebrate the kickoff of the new CyberGhost VPN, we offer you the 12 Month subscription for a limited amount of time for $39,99 instead of $69,99 and our CyberGhost Premium Plus for $69,99 instead of $109,99...

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
I wonder what people use these VPN services for? About the only useful thing I can think of is subverting sites that try to geo-restrict you based on IP.

For anybody thinking they get any kind of "security" from it...  ::)

tomos:
About the only useful thing I can think of is subverting sites that try to geo-restrict you based on IP.-f0dder (February 15, 2013, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've no idea about this stuff but I just read this the other day (was looking for a solution to the 'geo-restriction')
VPNs Are Old: Better Ways to Access Region-Blocked Video
(makeuseof.com)

f0dder:
I also wonder how those "DNS" solutions work - either the content providers has some really, really bad location detection, or the "DNS" solution actually does proxy the video stream through the "DNS" provider - which means that the stream speed will be no better(*) than through a VPN service.

(*): there's some overhead to VPN, but given the routing is decent and there's bandwidth enough, it shouldn't make much of a difference compared to a non-VPN proxying service.

Renegade:
I wonder what people use these VPN services for? About the only useful thing I can think of is subverting sites that try to geo-restrict you based on IP.
-f0dder (February 15, 2013, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of the reasons I use a VPN. SecurityKISS lets you choose the country. There was a thread on it somewhere here at DC.

The other thing I use VPNs for is when I'm plotting "freedom fighter" events, "medical research" for "biological solutions", the downfall of humankind, and other such fun things that would seem nefarious to anyone not from the planet Xurolifpst. :P

For anybody thinking they get any kind of "security" from it...  ::)
-f0dder (February 15, 2013, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is at least one that lets you use BitCoin:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

That's one additional layer of insulation.

But I think that you really need to do your research on them and use more than 1 with virtual machines before you can realistically consider them feasible. Well, if you're doing anything that you really need to be anonymous for that is, in which case free Wi-Fi connections out on the town, or better yet another town, are a better layer - but still, adding in a VPN there is still a good idea. TOR also helps. But a VM is a must.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version