ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mobile hotspots: your experiences. (mine included)

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
The other annoying thing: a lot of the cooler tablets that I use are wifi only, like the ASus transformer.  The wifi connection routine is a pain and difficult to manage just right.  On the other hand, an ipad or an android phone's cellular connection works all the time every time.  When these guys want to get it right, they can do it.  But only if it means $$$.

KynloStephen66515:
I just use my cheap android phone as a wifi hotspot for when im on-the-go or stuck in a car for long periods of time.  Quite handy as my phone allows you to turn it into a wifi hotspot, using the stock firmware (With or without security {PSK/WEP etc})

Its not brilliant in terms of speed (3G) but it gets the job done, and does allow me to watch youtube videos and such, and can also grab streams from my home PC without any real buffer issues :)

Renegade:
I just got back from Seoul a little while ago - it's probably enough to say that Seoul IS a Wi-Fi hotspot! :)

You only need to scan to find an open signal. There are some that require payment, but if you have Skype, it will automatically detect it and do the payment for you with your Skype-Out credits!

Here's a screenshot:

Most of the time I could just get an open, free signal.

Man... if only the rest of the world could catch up (and not be so darned paranoid about 'security').

barney:
As does skwire, I use a cell phone, a T-Mobile MyTouch 4G in my case, whenever the need arises.  I've had as many as five (5) systems accessing it w/o strain, and it's a part of my service, so there's no extra charge.  Don't really see the need to get a discrete device for that functionality, since it doesn't interfere with inbound or outbound calls.

kyrathaba:
how about karma?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version