topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Study Says Drink All the Coffee You Want. Really.  (Read 12945 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Study Says Drink All the Coffee You Want. Really.
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:58 PM »

While you health nuts are posting your this or that will kill you warnings, I've got this one to fire back :)

Coffee lovers can drink up without fear of increasing their risk of heart disease, according to a major new study that found people could consume as many as six cups a day without upping their risk.
 So the best answer is, if you enjoy coffee and you drink four to six cups a day, it's not going to cause you heart disease."

. . . this would be great news to me, drinking 2 pots a day, if I didn't love cigarettes so much :)

http://www.cbsnews.c...ws/main1548221.shtml

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Study Says Drink All the Coffee You Want. Really.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Okay, I'll crack... I finally looked it up: How Caffeine Works.
http://home.howstuff...ffeine.htm/printable

So you can see why your body might like caffeine in the short term, especially if you are low on sleep and need to remain active. Caffeine blocks adenosine reception so you feel alert. It injects adrenaline into the system to give you a boost. And it manipulates dopamine production to make you feel good.

SWEET!!!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:04 PM »
Yup, so as long as you keep pumping the stuff in with breaks only to sleep . . .

:D

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:27 PM »
I drink all the coffee I want because.....I'm an adult and I want to.  :D
If we spent all our time worrying about the "risks" we spend less time "living".

I want to live my life not exist in it. :Thmbsup:

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I drink all the coffee I want because.....I'm an adult and I want to.  :D
If we spent all our time worrying about the "risks" we spend less time "living".

I want to live my life not exist in it. :Thmbsup:

Hear, hear!

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:51 PM »
Hear, hear!
-allen
In the state I live in the Governor (who used to be a fat ass) has gotten the religion of good health and weight loss. Good for him. :D
However like any other convert to a new fundamentalist belief he has fallen under the spell of the true losers in life. Those people that have nothing better to do with their time than to make sure every other person in the world conforms to their ideals of behaviour.
Like all petty little losers everywhere who's lives are so lacking in anything that could possibly interest anyone else, they have concentrated their efforts to constraining and dictating how others live their lives.
Petty childish little people who have decided they don't like smoking so no one will smoke, they don't like drinking so they restrict that, eating of red meat.....well they don't do it so no one else should either. The list can go on of course.

Like allen I smoke, if you don't like it stay the hell away from me. I don't want your kind around me anyway. I know I'm way more interesting than you are.

You don't want to eat steak, fine, but leave my porterhouse alone.

I like a few beers in my own home, I make a good living and go to work everyday. And I give my employer a good 8 hours of work instead of whining about who offends me in the work place.

Instead of gossiping about other people and worrying about what they are doing, I would just as soon sit and enjoy a good cup of coffee on my break and mind my own business.

It's a shame others can't do the same.  :wallbash:

And when I die I will lie in my coffin with a smug smile on my face...knowing that I lived my life fully and as I pleased...while all the little petty losers existing in their sterile, uninteresting, exhaustively boring little lives tsk, tsk me for not following the herd and squeezing out a few more years in the presence of their absolute blandness.
I don't suppose that it has ever occurred to all the busybodies out there that those who want coffee,cigarettes, steak and beer really just want to have a real life....and if it shortens the time we have to deal with them it's worth it.
People need to quit sticking their nose in other peoples business and live their own lives. In other words Get a life people and stay the hell out of mine.

(wow I really enjoyed getting this off my chest  :-*)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 11:57 PM by Cpilot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 01:39 AM »
Record that in a rant and upload it for the podcast, Cpilot!  ;D

It's a shame others can't do the same.
:-\ :-\ :-\

You seem to be partially behaving akin to what you described you don't like. You've got your ideals and you think everyone else should have them. You used many aggressive and hostile words about people who have different opinions than you. How does that make you any better than them? You come off as just as fundamentalist as them, but with the opposite viewpoint. I'm not saying I disagree with your viewpoint, but the very action of saying "let people do what they want" and showing hostility against those who want something different than what you want is somewhat hypocritical. :huh:

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Study Says Drink All the Coffee You Want. Really? :)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:43 AM »
While you health nuts are posting your this or that will kill you warnings, I've got this one to fire back :)

Coffee lovers can drink up without fear of increasing their risk of heart disease, according to a major new study that found people could consume as many as six cups a day without upping their risk.
Well, scientists seem to be not sure about that yet: only last week I read about a new study saying that drinking only two cups of coffee a day is increasing the cardiac infarction risk for those with the according genes already...

I don't suppose that it has ever occurred to all the busybodies out there that those who want coffee,cigarettes, steak and beer really just want to have a real life....and if it shortens the time we have to deal with them it's worth it.
While I enjoy a good steak and a drink every now and then, I wouldn't put "coffee and cigarettes" and "real life" together in one sentence :D

When asked about their biggest regrets, (very) old people mostly named "not taking more risks" - not "not consuming more coffee and cigarettes" ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 01:49 AM »

So the best answer is, if you enjoy coffee and you drink four to six cups a day, it's not going to cause you heart disease."

. . . this would be great news to me, drinking 2 pots a day, if I didn't love cigarettes so much :)

http://www.cbsnews.c...ws/main1548221.shtml

What if I want 10 cups of coffee every day? I'm all out of luck.

Cyanide is a deadly poison that blocks oxygen from getting into your blood, yet millions of people use cigarettes which contain traces of cyanide, among  other poisons. The point is not whether people should or should not smoke, drink coffee or alcohol, eat meat, or whatever. The point is that anything is safe if used in moderation (Twinkies), but that doesn't make it good for you (again, Twinkies).

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:56 AM »
You seem to be partially behaving akin to what you described you don't like. You've got your ideals and you think everyone else should have them.
Well that ranks right up there with the most specious argument I have ever heard. The gist of my argument is I don't give a damn about their ideals. That their sole purpose in life...since they have no meaningful kind of life....is to force themselves on everyone else. If they had a really fulfilling and interesting life they would be too busy to notice the sins of others.
People who are overly concerned about their "special place" in society and how it should behave to their standards, are basically worms who in reality are bland, useless, beige, hollow insignifigant characters who will leave no lasting impression on anyone.
This is a societal phase and the next evolution of "political correctness". Ya know the general oppression of the masses and pressure to conform to an ideological norm. The attempt to eliminate personal freedom and supress individualism.

It must make these people really proud. :-\

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 02:07 AM »
While I enjoy a good steak and a drink every now and then, I wouldn't put "coffee and cigarettes" and "real life" together in one sentence
Well I wasn't aware of a real life either until I was older than 13. When you get some real experience then get back to us. :-\

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 07:08 AM »
On the topic of smoking... people should keep it to their own homes or, if need really be, open areas. It's not because I'm a health evangelist (far from), I just don't think it's fair forcing discomfort on other people. As for beer, red steaks, etc yadda yadda - bring it on :-* ... it's not like it hurts anybody (except perhaps for a few vegans, but those are pretty whack anyway ;) )
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:39 AM »
Well that ranks right up there with the most specious argument I have ever heard. The gist of my argument is I don't give a damn about their ideals. That their sole purpose in life...since they have no meaningful kind of life....is to force themselves on everyone else. If they had a really fulfilling and interesting life they would be too busy to notice the sins of others.
Do you watch TV?

While I enjoy a good steak and a drink every now and then, I wouldn't put "coffee and cigarettes" and "real life" together in one sentence
-brotherS
Well I wasn't aware of a real life either until I was older than 13. When you get some real experience then get back to us. :-\
If you *really* think coffee and cigarettes are a substantial part of "real life" (I hope you were kidding) I feel sorry for you. :(

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Well, scientists seem to be not sure about that yet: only last week I read about a new study saying that drinking only two cups of coffee a day is increasing the cardiac infarction risk for those with the according genes already...

It's true.  Coffee is the new eggs -- they can't make up their mind.  With any luck, indicision is lethal -- anyone doing a study on the effects of indecision on the general stability of the ol' brain?

While I enjoy a good steak and a drink every now and then, I wouldn't put "coffee and cigarettes" and "real life" together in one sentence :D
It would be irresponsible not to -- it would be denying their existence, they're a part of real life.  At any rate, "real life" in the subjective sense is entirely what you make of it -- for some of us, a cup of coffee and a pack of cigarettes is akin to a conversation with God.  Not for everyone, obviously -- but we're not all the same, are we?  I, for one, would rather skip the sex and jump straight to the 'after' cigarette.  Some don't bother with the cigarette.  Who's right?  Were I an arguing man, I'd say sucking a cigarette does more to serve an overpopulated planet than potentially contributing further to the gene pool :)

When asked about their biggest regrets, (very) old people mostly named "not taking more risks" - not "not consuming more coffee and cigarettes" ;)

Then they either didn't know they were missing, or they already were consuming at a sufficient rate.  Personally, I won't say I wished I consumed more either: I won't have to. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19 PM »
You seem to be partially behaving akin to what you described you don't like. You've got your ideals and you think everyone else should have them.
People who are overly concerned about their "special place" in society and how it should behave to their standards, are basically worms who in reality are bland, useless, beige, hollow insignifigant characters who will leave no lasting impression on anyone.
This is a societal phase and the next evolution of "political correctness". Ya know the general oppression of the masses and pressure to conform to an ideological norm. The attempt to eliminate personal freedom and supress individualism.

It must make these people really proud. :-\

Throwing around insults and degradations instead of having a thought out, practical discussion perfectly resembles those bigoted fundamentalists you describe. If you don't give any thought to other people's ideals, why should they care about yours? And if you really think that smoking or drinking or eating meat is what defines your individualism, then I feel sorry for you too. I can do all those things just as much as the next person, but that doesn't make me an individual. It makes me a statistic. My individualism is more than what I consume or what actions I perform.

I have no grudge against you, Cpilot. Like you, bigoted, close-minded fundamentalists really bother me. They think they are right no matter what and won't listen to and don't care about what anyone else has to say unless they are agreeing with them. But for someone to profess the desire to let people do what they want and then slander those who want something other than what you want, I ask again, how does that make you any better than them?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Deozaan: brotherS split topics, since you're talk was a bit out of topic. You already got a few replies to that post. Check here:  https://www.donation...index.php?topic=3414

Edit by brotherS: yes, sorry Deozaan! I thought you subscribed to the thread and noticed the split  :-[
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 01:26 PM by brotherS »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Deozaan: brotherS split topics, since you're talk was a bit out of topic. You already got a few replies to that post. Check here:  https://www.donation...index.php?topic=3414

Edit by brotherS: yes, sorry Deozaan! I thought you subscribed to the thread and noticed the split  :-[

Thanks for clearing that up. This is also off-topic from the main thread, but I've never subscribed to a thread before. Are you saying it would notify me of a split? By subscribing me to the split thread, I suppose?

Tony Dodd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Tis is all I need to hear. Another pot of coffee is brewing now!  :Thmbsup: