ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How -- and why -- do you use different browsers?

(1/3) > >>

momonan:
With all this talk about Opera 9, I realize I don't have a grasp on why one would use one browser over another.  I read the link mentioned here:  https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2528.0.   And it helped.

But, it would be so good if some of you who use several browsers -- or have chosen one over the others -- could explain exactly why that is.  Do you like the display?  Do you like the way it allows you to keep several sites available at once?  Do you like the way it handles favorites?  What, exactly, is it?

Any screenshots you can provide would be much appreciated. :-*

brotherS:
But, it would be so good if some of you who use several browsers -- or have chosen one over the others -- could explain exactly why that is.  Do you like the display?  Do you like the way it allows you to keep several sites available at once?  Do you like the way it handles favorites?  What, exactly, is it?
-momonan (April 26, 2006, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I'm using IE for the "quick check of something" (with the help of AutoHotkey), and Firefox to do some serious browsing, with GREAT extensions like Mouseless Browsing ( https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3179.0) etc. etc.

jgpaiva:
Hum.. "why" use opera? There are a bit too many features to mention here, but i'll try.

* Stability - opera crashed about 5 times in about 5 years of use. And when it did, when it came up, the session was exactly as before.
* Mouse gestures - i love to go through tabs only with mouse buttons
* Keyboard Shortcuts - i can make a shortcut for absolutelly every function in opera. (and i do make them ;) )
* Good space management - i have a small screen, so, i need a perfect space management. Opera allows me to have buttons with more than one function (if one action isn't possible, it executes the next one), scale them as small as i like, and place them exactly in the place i like.
* Button expandability - http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons has fantastic buttons, always very usefull
* Fast and secure - it's the browser i've found to be faster during browsing, and for what i've read, it's the most secure browser (although i don't make that my top priority)
If the reasons above aren't enough, i have yet another one: It looks great!

Here's my screenshot:
How -- and why -- do you use different browsers?

crono:
I'm working as a freelance webdeveloper (frontend and serverside), so I have to check my work in different browser :) In private live I'm using Firefox, because of its great extensions  :-*

Edvard:
Internet Explorer was too buggy and full of security holes, so I tried FireFox
FireFox looks real nice, is easy to use out of the box, and has a billion extensions to make it do a billion nifty things. And it runs on linux. BUT... It takes FOREVER to load (except on the new office computer which is a 2.8GHz Pentium D with 1GB of RAM) and Java apps slow it to an absolute crawl, (which I could not find on bugzilla, and googling for "java slows firefox" turned up a scant handful of reports...) so I tried Opera.
Opera is fast and webpages render pretty good. Mind, I haven't been using it for very long, so I've been told I'm going to find a bunch more nice things to say about it. BUT... the interface is cluttered and confusing (give me FITTS'... PLEASE!) and it took me an hour to figure out how to add or remove bars and buttons. So, what am I looking for? Well, if Firefox started faster and had not the issues with Java, it'd be a no brainer. But I keep seeing so much good being said about Opera, and it is free now, so I'm giving it a shot. No idea about Netscape (anybody still using that dinosaur?) Mozilla proper, Maxthon, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version