ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Office 2013 Home/Business - non-transferable (1 PC p.person) - Caveat emptor.

<< < (3/6) > >>

dr_andus:
I didn't think that there was much difference between LibreOffice and OpenOffice... just two different companies doing it.
-techidave (February 13, 2013, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried them both recently on a Win7 64-bit system and I kept running into bugs and performance issues in OpenOffice, while LibreOffice worked without a hitch. Just my personal experience...

TaoPhoenix:
I didn't think that there was much difference between LibreOffice and OpenOffice... just two different companies doing it.
-techidave (February 13, 2013, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried them both recently on a Win7 64-bit system and I kept running into bugs and performance issues in OpenOffice, while LibreOffice worked without a hitch. Just my personal experience...
-dr_andus (February 14, 2013, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Last I recall there were various reasons going on, and so LibreOffice is the newer fork of the software suite. I vaguely recall that what's left of Open Office wasn't given good attention and began to stagnate, so the comment above makes perfect sense if LibreOffice took all the "good guys" with them.

This is a nice page describing their ("The Document Foundation") efforts. Note the line about them organizing bug fix hunts. (It's also a nice perspective on the Chrome-FF "version bump mania".These guys are old-school: You save the big numbers for important markers and do point releases when you're just fiddling with stuff.)

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2012/12/26/tdf-in-2012-a-summary/

Jibz:
There is also the possibility of using one of the smaller office suites like SoftMaker.

Carol Haynes:
FWIW LibreOffice has just released version 4 with lots of collaboration tools. They are also systemtaically stripping out the old 'sun' components in the API. Interestingly the new version also opens MS Publisher and Visio documents (which I think is new and welcome).

The the other good thing about LibreOffice is it seems to have removed the need for Java to be installed - which is a big plus in anyone's book.

Re. Ms Office 2013 there is almost nothing worth the money and hassles of upgrading from Office 2007 or 2010. It just has a pig ugly interface to match not-metro (which it doesn't even run under) and throws you at subscription based storage every time you load and save files (OK you can change the defaults but that is how it is set up). It uses SkyDrive - which isn't compatible with the previous cloud solution for Office 2010 - at least not without searching for an update.

It isn't at all clear what MS will do if you buy a copy of Office 2013 and one f the following scenarios happens:

1) Failed motherboard replaced - is it a new computer?
2) On a desktop computer what if you change more than a few components (enough to change the machine ID at MS) - do you face reactivating issues?
3) Laptop stolen, damaged beyond repair or replaced under warranty?

The last point is particularly moot ... if you have a machine replaced under warranty and MS don't allow a reinstall of office do the manufacturers become liable to replace your copy of office?

I suppose MS could argue (but shouldn't) that theft or damage can be covered under insurance claims.

All in all there seems absolutely no reason to use MS Office post the 2010 version. Subscriptions might seem good value but most families only use Word and Excel at most and for one years subs have been able to buy a 3 machine perpetual license up until now (with transfer rights to new machines) - who in their right mind would pay a subscription cost to upgrade.

Doubtless MS will come up with something that breaks Office 2003 and 2007 in Windows 9 and by Windows 10 Office 2010 probably won't install forcing people into their corrupt model.

I have a current MAPs subscription which is due for renewal in March - I am seriosuly thinking of just buying a few copies of Windows Pro and moving to LibreOffice. The only other package I use from the subscription is Windows 2008 SBS - but it might be just the push I need to learn Apache and Samba!!!

40hz:
All in all there seems absolutely no reason to use MS Office post the 2010 version.
-Carol Haynes (February 14, 2013, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. I've already done a client advisory to that effect.

I think the plan is to make a media purchase less attractive to their customers than going with a software subscription. Something that Microsoft has been attempting to accomplish for years. Now, unfortunately, it looks like they're resorting to 'steering' and stealth in order to make it happen.

I'm hoping for a widespread user revolt although that will also likely be the trigger circumstance for Microsoft to initiate its often threatened and long anticipated legal campaign against Linux and F/OSS.

It's only a matter of time anyway if Win8 continues to stagnate like it seems to be doing.
 :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version