ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines

(1/7) > >>

Josh:

The Opera web browser has always been something of an also-ran in terms of its popularity on Windows PCs. Net Applications shows the current version of the desktop browser, Opera 12, has just a 1.47 percent market share, well behind Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. However, Opera has gained more users as a browser for mobile phones and smartphones.

Today, Opera Software announced both a major milestone as well as a huge change for the rendering engine that the browser uses. First, the company revealed that the various versions of the Opera web browser have now collected a total of 300 million users. Jars Boilesen, the CEO of Opera Software, added, "On the final stretch up to 300 million users, we have experienced the fastest acceleration in user growth we have ever seen."

Opera Software also announced that future versions of the browser will make the transition to the WebKit and Chromium engine, which is used for Google's Chrome browser and Apple's Safari program. Opera Software had previously been using its own Presto rendering engine for its browser.
--- End quote ---

Neowin.net Source

Opera press release

Does this mean opera will actually work now?!? No more broken pages?

wraith808:
More discussion going on here.

KynloStephen66515:
Does this mean opera will actually work now?!? No more broken pages?
--- End quote ---

Honestly dunno wtf pages you visit, but the only pages I see break are those from web devs who don't f&$king check their code on different browsers.

Opera Software also announced that future versions of the browser will make the transition to the WebKit and Chromium engine, which is used for Google's Chrome browser and Apple's Safari program. Opera Software had previously been using its own Presto rendering engine for its browser.
--- End quote ---

The reason I use Opera, is because Chrome just constantly dies, and if it smells any flash plugins on a page, it runs away and breaks. I have never really had problems with Safari, but there-again, I have barely ever used it, and unlikely to because of my immense hatred for Apple (As a business).

As many of you know, I have always been nothing but positive about Opera, and would generally mock others (for fun) that don't use it...but now...I just don't know...Maybe it is time to finally knuckle under and work on my own rendering engine...not a simple task...but, there again...I know what I want, I know what I like, I know what I use, and I know I won't release it to the general public.

dantheman:
If it's anything like Maxthon, it's going to take Opera another three years before they get everything into place (extensions, skins, sync etc.). I don't like Chrome. It's just not as customizable as Firefox (and what was left to hope for in Opera).

All eyes now on Firefox as the only real alternative.

Renegade:
All eyes now on Firefox as the only real alternative.
-dantheman (February 14, 2013, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you may well be right there.

Chrome is a *&^(*& when it comes to trying to scroll on long pages, and especially if you zoom in a bit. It's just *&%^% horrible. That's the engine there. Opera is much kinder. I've not been using Firefox as a main browser for a while, but I have a feeling that I'll be returning to it shortly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version