ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Anyone interested in some serious look at internals of CMS systems?

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Is anyone here interested in (and qualified for) doing a serious look and comparison of the internals of various CMS systems?

I'm more interested in examining and comparing the various ways that the different CMS systems structure their databases -- manage users, groups, permissions, content, profile information, etc.

Anyone interested in such a thing?

I've been working off an on on a large project to build a cms-like system (YUMPS), and i've decided to take a bit of a step back and survey how different CMS systems handle these kinds of issues, in an attempt to make something that is as good as it can be.

I was thinking maybe someone might want to join me in surveying the state of the art solutions, and then possibly starting from scratch.

I've been rethinking my approach to YUMPS and am considering taking a step back and focusing more on describing the system from a pure database api, language neutral standpoint.

I know it's a long shot but I thought I would ask if anyone here might be interested in such a project.

skwire:
Just for the record, I don't know the first thing about such things.  Well, maybe the first...but my knowledge of such drops off a cliff after that.   ;D

KynloStephen66515:
Is anyone here interested in (and qualified for) doing a serious look and comparison of the internals of various CMS systems?
--- End quote ---

What he means is:

Is anybody here interested in (and stupid enough) to completely lose all sense of morality, and also lost the will to live, by doing an in-depth comparison of some of the most boring, and tedious code, ever.

;D

Rover:
@Mouser  Were you asleep when you posted this?  :P

I know this has been torturing you for a long time.  I think you need to be a little more selfish about your goals.  General comparison of CMS's will be an academic exercise in the general study of synergistic relationships for high impact effectiveness.*

Any CMS you look at will have features and flaws.  The one you learn the best is probably the one that you will be most effective with.  If yumps is feeling like it doesn't fit the bill, take a step back, re-think it and be willing to admit you were wrong. 
If you're really stumped, search for some design patterns that have already solved the problem.  If you can't find any existing, break the problem down into smaller chunks.  IMHO, all of the CMS problems have been solved; user interface and RAD effectiveness are the only variables.

So, now that we've gotten the obvious stuff out of the way, what's the problem that you're trying to solve?  ;)

*No, it doesn't mean anything.  :P

mouser:
Rover,

I can't disagree with any of your comments -- but in this case I was really just thinking that it would be useful to try to survey the different kinds of INTERNAL structural choices that different CMS/socialnetwork software systems chose, and why.  How do they represent users and groups, etc.  It's not so much in an effort to solve a problem as much as it is a desire to understand the different strategies chosen to see if one approach stands out as better than the rest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version